Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Downbeat, crossfade length, the obligatory wish list

Discuss the easiest dj mixing software on the planet. :) Well, we think it is..so there. :)

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

tekhedd

Downbeat, crossfade length, the obligatory wish list

Postby tekhedd » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:36 pm

First, let me say that this program does exactly what I need, or a pleasing subset of it. I'm not interested in live dj'ing, I just want some mixes to go, now. And I am very pleased with the result so far, but I do spend quite a lot of time fixing the crossfades. What would help me a lot would be:

1) Better downbeat detection, either
1a) Automatically, or
1b) manually, by clicking or visually

I've been spending about 15-20 minutes per CD compilation trying to get the downbeats lined up. 4x4 mixes don't work very well when you're off by one beat. :) I also notice that the "previous beat/next beat" buttons sometimes work on 8ths, sometimes on quarter notes, sometimes on half measures. Etc. Maybe I'm imagining it?

2) Option for longer cross fades in the default menu.

From reading the forums, I assume I could just type a larger number in the combo box, which is what I'm going to try when I get home. :) Trance requires super duper long cross fades, on the order of 20-30 seconds frequently...

2a) Speaking of combo boxes...
IT's difficult to select lower values, because the current value is always selected by default. But I suppose it's faster than spin boxes...

Now into the wish list

3) Drop detection -- Drum&Bass and trance styles usually have a long intro with a first drop. This is the ideal start/mid point for a crossfade. Of course, how you'd do this is beyond me. Well not really, but it probably requires first finding the downbeat, etc, and I'd assume style detection is a prereq, so we're talking very little chance that it's even possible with current processor technology and the number or people you have maintaining the project. :)

4) Multiband compression and leveling -- I recommend FIR crossovers, and can provide you with algorithms and sample code if you like. It's all in C# tho. :) If you're going to do leveling and compression, you need to separate out the low end, otherwise you don't really get levling. :)

5) Is it possible to apply the same DirectX plugin preset to all tracks at once?

6) There's a standard BPM field in ID3V2, have you considered a) reading it, and/or b) updating it? All my files contain V2 only...

7) The FAQ is full of marketing material telling me to buy your other products. I can't tell you how to market your product, but please consider that putting sales pitches in your support FAQ is probably not a good idea. I mean, sure I purchased it anyway, but it's a strong turn-off.

OK, I've done enough damage here. I'm listening to a mix I threw together last night even as I write this, and... it is good. Peace!

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. You might want to check out our Mixcraft 3.0 software when it comes out, it may be more what you are looking for. In fact, you might want to beta test Mixcraft 3.0 when it comes out in the next few months. Our beta testing page is here.

From reading the forums, I assume I could just type a larger number in the combo box, which is what I'm going to try when I get home. :) Trance requires super duper long cross fades, on the order of 20-30 seconds frequently...

Yes, you can just type in a value, but you are limited to about half of the song length.

Is it possible to apply the same DirectX plugin preset to all tracks at once?

No, we were operating under the assumption that each song would have its own unique requirements.

The FAQ is full of marketing material telling me to buy your other products. I can't tell you how to market your product, but please consider that putting sales pitches in your support FAQ is probably not a good idea. I mean, sure I purchased it anyway, but it's a strong turn-off.

Can you give me an example of the sales pitches in the FAQ? I didn't think we had any sales pitches in there. We're generally a pretty soft sell.

Greg

tekhedd

Postby tekhedd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:58 am

Can you give me an example of the sales pitches in the FAQ?

Let's take the first question in the FAQ:

"How do I get my songs to be balanced and the same loudness?"

Answer:
"If you can't stand reaching for the dial in between songs, install DJ Twist & Burn right now!"

:-) And then it goes on to describe what the feature does, which is good. What it doesn't do is say which menu to pull down to apply it (Song List/ Balance Loudness Equally) or when (after adding all songs to the project), which I consider to be more "support" material.

Oh, some are quite useful, but it's mostly pre-sales FAQ, you know?

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:31 pm

tekhedd wrote:
Oh, some are quite useful, but it's mostly pre-sales FAQ, you know?
Yes, a lot of these DJ Twist and Burrn entries were written before the software was released. Over time, as we get a better idea of what the frequently asked questions are for this program, we'll be adding more specific ones.

I'll update that one so that it tells you how to find preferences.

You'll have to bear with some pre-sale FAQ entries, because unfortunately not everyone has purchased the software yet and Google does index the FAQ.

Return to “DJ Twist & Burn”