Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

EZ Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 2

Use this topic to discuss VST and DirectX plugins for Mixcraft, Spin It Again or Beatcraft.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Ianpb

EZ Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 2

Postby Ianpb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm

I tried EZ Drummer 2 the other day. Well-designed and intuitive software, but the quality of the sound is terrible, likely due to the processing done to the samples, which has a lot to be desired, particularly the metallic tone of the snares. I noticed one or two ugly and annoying clicks too.

I then tried Superior Drummer 2 and it sounded a lot better, just more clumsily designed, which is stupidly inconsistent. Someone I know who has both software was cursing because not only do the EZ Drummer 2 'Modern' and 'Vintage' sets refuse appear in Superior Drummer, but neither does the appealing 'Pop-Rock' expansion set that he paid good money for, while other sets appear as expected.

I'd give Toontrack 10/10 for muddled thinking.

Rolling Estonian

Re: EZ Drummer 2 and Superior Drummer 2

Postby Rolling Estonian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 am

I've had EZD2 for awhile now and have had no issues with the sound quality, I very much doubt the clicks are coming from the program.

Not trying to start anything but you're the only person I've ever heard say that they weren't very happy with EZD2. It's an awesome program, IMHO of course.

M

Ianpb

Postby Ianpb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 am

With EZ Drummer 2, I found myself constantly frustrated, unable to achieve a good, powerful rock sound that wouldn't somehow get lost in the mix. The toms were especially poor. With Superior Drummer 2 however, it was like night and day! I barely needed to apply EQ, everything was less muffled, clearer, and a lot more gutsy, which cut through much better, especially with the toms.

It's a pity they don't provide free trial software, but if they did I suspect comparisons may expose EZ Drummer's inferior sound quality. It would make far more sense to merge the best features of each into one piece of software, because as it is, two Toontrack products are effectively in competition with each other in the same market, which makes no economic sense to the company with regard to a duplication of development time.

BTW: The clicks were coming from a couple of the toms (I can't remember which) after I had applied some compression. Silencing the tom track made the clicks disappear.

Ianpb

Postby Ianpb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I managed to try out the 'Metal' expansion a few days ago. It far outshines the other expansions I had used before. The default kit set at 'Original Mix' provided just what I needed, albeit with a some eq, reverb and distortion added, plus it provides separate channels for two racktoms and the floor-tom.

Return to “Plugins, Plugins, Plugins!”