Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Mixcraft Hangs on opening settings (details in OP)

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Anorax

Mixcraft Hangs on opening settings (details in OP)

Postby Anorax » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I received a Focusrite 2i4 for christmas (woohoo!) but I am having issues with Mixcraft 8's Settings menu.

.:Events leading up to program hang:.
I had managed to switch over to the Focusrite ASIO driver, but there was no inputs or outputs selected. When I closed the settings, I got the standard "Mixcraft cannot open playback device blah blah blah" dialog. I clicked OK and closed Mixcraft 8.
I later got the 2i4 to completely be recognized as an ASIO device in Mixcraft 7 (including the ASIO inputs and outputs).

The problem now is when I open Mixcraft 8, I still get the "Mixcraft cannot open playback device" popup (before the registration window appears). I open settings to change the playback device back to something that will work, but the software hangs. As I type this, Mixcraft is still trying to open its settings dialog and has (Not Responding) in its title bar.

I'll go ahead and force stop the program and attach a log file (if the log file even gets created from the force-stop) as a reply to this thread.

Anorax

Re: Mixcraft Hangs on opening settings (details in OP)

Postby Anorax » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 pm

I added a comment to the end of the log file, but I'll repeat it here: Mixcraft had a 10 minute hang from the failure of GetSharedModeEnginePeriod() and the moment that I terminated Mixcraft's process.

System info: Win10 x64
Processor: Intel i7-4790

Attached log file in ZIP archive as .txt files are not supported forum attachments.

Found the "Reset Audio to Factory Defaults" shortcut in the Mixcraft 8 program folder, so I'm good now (read as: can actually use Mixcraft), but this was an interesting experience to be sure.
Attachments
Mixcraft-Log.zip
(13.44 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

Starship Krupa

Postby Starship Krupa » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:07 pm

My apologies if this seems too obvious, but have you gone to Focusrite's www site to check to make sure you have their latest driver?

BTW, congratulations on the Xmas present. Santa was niiiice to you this year!
-Erik

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:14 am

Oh the 2i4 runs like a dream. The issue is that if mixcraft 8 cannot initialize your sound device and you try to go into settings to switch back to a configuration that works, then the program hangs and becomes unresponsive.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 am

Anorax wrote:Oh the 2i4 runs like a dream. The issue is that if mixcraft 8 cannot initialize your sound device and you try to go into settings to switch back to a configuration that works, then the program hangs and becomes unresponsive.

Hi,

Did you go to the Focusrite page and download the latest driver? Do you have Gen. 1 or Gen. 2?

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Anorax wrote:Oh the 2i4 runs like a dream. The issue is that if mixcraft 8 cannot initialize your sound device and you try to go into settings to switch back to a configuration that works, then the program hangs and becomes unresponsive.

Hi,

Did you go to the Focusrite page and download the latest driver? Do you have Gen. 1 or Gen. 2?

Greg

Gen 2, and yes I had the drivers - that's how I was able to select the Focusrite USB ASIO driver.

When I get home I'll make a video to see if I can reproduce this software hang.

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Hmm. Cannot reproduce. Disregard.

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Had this happen again in build 375. Mixcraft booted up with "Failed to open playback device!" in the lower right corner. Went to open settings and the software hung up again. Still waiting to see if it reacts (I'll leave overnight to see if it actually does something. I'll post a log of the result regardless of what happens.).

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:04 pm

I've had problems switching between drivers and getting that notice in MX7 and MX8 since migrating to a new computer,
I have alternated between blaming Win10 and the computers onboard soundcard and its driver.

If I switch between sound devices than go back to the on-board card, it often will not allow me to use sound device settings that previously worked, and attempts to switch them will also often cause a Mixcraft seizure. Often only wave mode will function, sometimes I can select another choice and get that same warning you get, other times there's no warning, but the open project wont play (no response, though the play indicator in the bar changes, the cursor doesn't move and nothing happens, etc.)
Sometimes I have to restart Mixcraft, and sometimes I have to restart the computer. Because of the fact it only started on a new system with a new soundcard and driver, I have assumed it wasn't Mixcraft's fault. Never did that before anyway.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:24 am

Hi,

A lot of it depends upon the audio drivers involved. Some don't react well when you switch or disconnect in the middle of a session.

Greg

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi again,

Actually, try build 378 (patches are on the beta page).

Greg

chiefpotpipe

Postby chiefpotpipe » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Anorax wrote:I received a Focusrite 2i4 for christmas (woohoo!) but I am having issues with Mixcraft 8's Settings menu.

.:Events leading up to program hang:.
I had managed to switch over to the Focusrite ASIO driver, but there was no inputs or outputs selected. When I closed the settings, I got the standard "Mixcraft cannot open playback device blah blah blah" dialog. I clicked OK and closed Mixcraft 8.
I later got the 2i4 to completely be recognized as an ASIO device in Mixcraft 7 (including the ASIO inputs and outputs).

The problem now is when I open Mixcraft 8, I still get the "Mixcraft cannot open playback device" popup (before the registration window appears). I open settings to change the playback device back to something that will work, but the software hangs. As I type this, Mixcraft is still trying to open its settings dialog and has (Not Responding) in its title bar.

I'll go ahead and force stop the program and attach a log file (if the log file even gets created from the force-stop) as a reply to this thread.

I'm having exact same issue with Zoom G5. Just updated patch to 378. Same thing. My Amplitube,EZDrummer and Studio One all recognize G5 as does MX7 Pro.

chiefpotpipe

Postby chiefpotpipe » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:14 pm

I also have to add that the G5 works in build 373 both 32 and 64 bit. As soon as I updated to 375 I started having the issues. Can't find playback device and the preferences menu was whited out when trying to select buffer size etc. I submitted log and ticket. Hopefully this gets sorted. The G5 is quiter than my other 3 interfaces plus using the Zoom saves a ton of resources seeing as I don't need to use amp sim+effects.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 am

chiefpotpipe wrote:I also have to add that the G5 works in build 373 both 32 and 64 bit. As soon as I updated to 375 I started having the issues. Can't find playback device and the preferences menu was whited out when trying to select buffer size etc. I submitted log and ticket. Hopefully this gets sorted. The G5 is quiter than my other 3 interfaces plus using the Zoom saves a ton of resources seeing as I don't need to use amp sim+effects.

Hi,

Some of the Zoom interfaces don't have very good Windows 10 drivers. Try this:

1. Quit Mixcraft if it is running.
2. Right-click on Mixcraft's icon and select Properties.
3. On the Compatibility tab, select Windows 8.
4. Click OK, then start up Mixcraft using that icon and see if the problem is fixed.

Greg

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:48 am

Acoustica Greg wrote:
chiefpotpipe wrote:I also have to add that the G5 works in build 373 both 32 and 64 bit. As soon as I updated to 375 I started having the issues. Can't find playback device and the preferences menu was whited out when trying to select buffer size etc. I submitted log and ticket. Hopefully this gets sorted. The G5 is quiter than my other 3 interfaces plus using the Zoom saves a ton of resources seeing as I don't need to use amp sim+effects.

Hi,

Some of the Zoom interfaces don't have very good Windows 10 drivers. Try this:

1. Quit Mixcraft if it is running.
2. Right-click on Mixcraft's icon and select Properties.
3. On the Compatibility tab, select Windows 8.
4. Click OK, then start up Mixcraft using that icon and see if the problem is fixed.

Greg

HI,

Actually, looking at the log file you submitted with your support ticket, I see that you have Windows 7, so this suggestion doesn't apply to you. I'll reply to your support ticket.

Greg

Return to “Mixcraft Beta Testing”