Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

b370 - buffer overload "stutter" using ASIO

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Starship Krupa

Re: b370 - buffer overload "stutter" using ASIO

Postby Starship Krupa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:41 pm

I will try the different .dll's when I get an opportunity.

64-bit is problematic for me due to use of 32-bit plug-ins like Pianissimo in my projects, but I can at least compare.

Buffer size did not affect it, and switching to WaveRT changed the way the errors sounded, but they were still there.

I'm used to setting my buffers down to 4ms during audio tracking and then forgetting to set them higher for mixing but only noticing it later because playback in Mixcraft was still fine. 4ms is tight on an aging system like mine.
-Erik

Starship Krupa

Postby Starship Krupa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 am

Okay, my results after swapping the various sndengine dll's in and out is that it didn't seem to make much difference.

The 50 one was maybe more responsive and less farty, but that was mostly when opening and closing VSTi UI's (such as Pianissimo), when the other ones would emit a horrendous BLAAPPP.

Which is something that I have gotten used to with Mixcraft 8, the BLAAPPP when opening a plug-in UI.

The problem is alleviated somewhat by closing down every last little background program I can to get the RAM and CPU usage down, but that is something that I never had to fuss with in Mixcraft 7 even for more complex datasets with way more audio tracks.

It's odd, the impression I got testing the early builds was that Mixcraft was actually consuming fewer resources than before, but after a few more builds, it now feels like it's pushing my Core 2 Quad system with 6G of RAM closer to its limits.

All of this is just anecdotal, for all I know I discovered a favorite plug-in that is bogging everything down, or something went weird with my computer, but I keep a close watch on processes with utilities like Process Explorer, Process Lasso, CCleaner, etc.

In 7 I did a project with 26 audio tracks, multiple instances of UltraChannel, etc., and we only "hit the wall" once in the entire tracking and mixing process. I never had a plug-in suddenly bring the program down or crash it.

So far 8 is way more touchy, at least on my system. I don't know if I can attempt a project like that with 8. 6 tracks of audio and 3 of MIDI doesn't seem like that tall an order, but that's where I'm hitting the wall.
-Erik

endbase

Postby endbase » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 am

Hi can you provide me the project where you hit the wall with mixcraft maybe we can rule out if it's your computer who gives trouble or Mixcraft itself

Greetz Base

Starship Krupa

Postby Starship Krupa » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:38 pm

endbase wrote:Hi can you provide me the project where you hit the wall with mixcraft maybe we can rule out if it's your computer who gives trouble or Mixcraft itself

Same computer that has always run Mixcraft 7 with very few burps.

Working on it with the devs.
-Erik

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi,

What happens if you test with a Mixcraft example project, rather than one that has third-party plugins?

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

Starship Krupa

Postby Starship Krupa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:26 am

I dunno, I think at this point that I fell down a rabbit hole with this one.

At this point I'll just go with the release build, b373, seems to be working fine, although it is not as forgiving as Mixcraft 7 as far as freeing up resources before it starts.

There may be something in that, I don't know, I don't know enough about how Windows manages resources, but I used to start Mixcraft and work in it, leaving whatever other programs running, and then shut them down if I got any hiccups (which I rarely did). With Mixcraft 8, I need to have things "quiet on the set" before I start a session, and then it's okay.

Of course I will keep an eye on it as I continue to use it. The different buffers in the .dll did not seem to have much of an effect, I will say that.

If you can't reproduce it, it ain't a bug. :-)

It's a great release; I freaking LOVE the nested submixes, being able to select multiple tracks and have their controls move in unison, the verbose Undo/Redo (actually that feature alone may be worth the upgrade price!), etc. Simple as it is, the ability to plant a marker with a single keystroke is great, especially for video work, where I may have someone in the band over my shoulder telling me that it should fade right....THERE.

If Anorax hasn't experienced any more of these symptoms, I will close the bug report as not reproducible....
-Erik

Return to “Mixcraft Beta Testing”