Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

RIP, Brown Eyed Handsome Man

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

freightgod

RIP, Brown Eyed Handsome Man

Postby freightgod » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 pm

3c843601c737db013237ff8a98a9942068286ec036544e4fd3da13219c3874ad.jpg
3c843601c737db013237ff8a98a9942068286ec036544e4fd3da13219c3874ad.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

Mark Bliss

Re: RIP, Brown Eyed Handsome Man

Postby Mark Bliss » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Pretty hard to even put the influence this man had into perspective.

He was very humble about the subject on multiple occasions, didn't want to be called the King of rock and roll, or the inventor or anything. And he once said something like "there ain't nothin' new in this world" when referring to his influences. He may have meant that everyone stands on the shoulders of those who came before them, but surely there were few musicians who through time, had more people stand on their shoulders than Chuck Berry.
He wasn't known to be so humble about many things I think.

Some interesting points:

He first auditioned to Chess records and the song that caught attention was called "Ida May" a song about chasing an unfaithful girlfriend in a Cadillac with a hopped up model A.
The agreement was made to record it if the name was changed to "Maybelline".
He was already 30, married and had two kids I think.

Many of his writing credits were shared with a couple of disc jockeys just to leverage airplay. And some of his early airplay and success was simply because many listeners mistook his style and voice for a white man.

In his very early career, one fanatical Keith Richards followed him around back stage bugging him with questions until it is said that Barry finally tired of it and turned around and popped Keith a good one.

Wise enough to marketing himself under the circumstances, when he wrote Johnny B Good, he changed the lyric from "Colored boy" to "Country Boy" knowing it would reach a broader audience.

He wrote a lot of songs. And could have done much better if he could have stayed out of legal troubles. But I wont go there today.

I read that in recent years, a deal was supposedly struck to acquire one of his famously collected Cadillacs for a museum piece. May have been the R&R Hall of fame I think.
When the representative arrived at Mr Berry's place, he rode up on a golf cart and the first thing he said was "I ain't givin' you nuthin'!"
After a long conversation, he befriended Mr. Berry and left with a donation of a Cadillac for the museum.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

outteh

Re: RIP, Brown Eyed Handsome Man

Postby outteh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 am

RIP! One of my main influences! With his tough life he still made it to 90, what a man!

Return to “Off Topic”