Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

I can't give away my music for free

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

briannadejole

I can't give away my music for free

Postby briannadejole » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 am

About a month ago I had the worst experience of my musical life: I was rejected by The Free Music Archive. I submitted a professional application. Their response was unprofessional and nonsensical. They said that they were not looking for electronic or instrumental music.

????????????? Um. Yeah. That is a lot of music in human history zonked out. They are idiots. I make no apology for my response that told them what I think of them.

So if I wanted to give my music under a licence like Creative Commons, is there nay other site? I do not count soundcloud or bandcamp; [I am on Bandcamp] because they do not focus on free music as a speciality.

Thank you

davefk

Re: I can't give away my music for free

Postby davefk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 am

briannadejole wrote:About a month ago I had the worst experience of my musical life: I was rejected by The Free Music Archive. I submitted a professional application. Their response was unprofessional and nonsensical. They said that they were not looking for electronic or instrumental music.

????????????? Um. Yeah. That is a lot of music in human history zonked out. They are idiots. I make no apology for my response that told them what I think of them.

So if I wanted to give my music under a licence like Creative Commons, is there nay other site? I do not count soundcloud or bandcamp; [I am on Bandcamp] because they do not focus on free music as a speciality.

Thank you

I'm sorry to hear of your experience... Life is short enough without all the nonsense that sometimes accompanies it. There is the:

Internet Archive https://archive.org/index.php

and some useful info here: https://www.thebalance.com/free-music-downloads-1356648

Dave

AHornsby

Postby AHornsby » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Creative Commons is no panacea when it comes to giving away music. If you wanted to play someone's music on a commercial radio station they would have to have applied for the CC commercial license, etc.

Bandwidth is not cheap either. Rooms full of hard drives and the overhead that requires has to be paid for somehow
and unless it's the users paying for it you'll get the advertisers that will demand things be done in a certain way.

You know the old saying: "Before you find the prince, you'll have to kiss a lot of frogs."

If you want people to hear your music upload it to Google Drive and put the link here. We'll listen, and if it's good enough the word will eventually get out.

briannadejole

Postby briannadejole » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am

Sigh.

The Free Music Archive is within its rights 100% to preserve its bandwidth and to choose its music.

BUT

It does the opposite to what it did to me in its video; I watched all 45 minutes of its video for applicants and nowhere does it says that it acts as it did. In fact it presents itself as somewhere that values [?] music. The Free Music Archive, if they are going to reject good free music, has to say that it is doing this.

If they want to be something else. A front for advertisers or a radio station. Then fine. SAY THAT. Because doing that is not a site for free music. They in that case should no longer call themselves the Free Music Archive. Call themselves Radio Inc, Ad Corps Music...I don't give a damn. JUST BE HONEST ABOUT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING so you don't waste my sincere time and efforts.

I am grateful to Dave for the links. I have had bad experiences on forums showing people my music. I have got trolled by smart alecs. I am within my rights to only post links to my music when I am certain of a constructive response.

Return to “General Music Topics”