Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Would you record music in a 1950's studio?

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

briannadejole

Would you record music in a 1950's studio?

Postby briannadejole » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:16 pm

A few months ago I came across a video by Sound on Sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-scxybnp0

In it they have re created a 1950's style music studio using all 1950's equipment and methods! So I wondered whether anyone hear would use such a studio to make music. It took them years to set it all up.

AHornsby

Re: Would you record music in a 1950's studio?

Postby AHornsby » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:29 am

There's always something to spend it on...

Maybe. Just for fun although it is a practical waste of time and money. (It would make a good museum display.)

chibear

Postby chibear » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:31 am

I started working in studios (as a musician) in the late '60's so can't go back quite that far, but over the years can remember going into the booth to see the latest innovations. After the dawn of digital we were no longer allowed in the booth, along with the fact that engineers seemed to care less about the quality of individual pickups as they would 'fix it in the mix' which of course was a lie to shut us up.

One statement from the video that rang a bell was referring to that type (50's) of recording as more "honest". Imagine how the pops field would change without the likes of Melodyne or VocalCorrect (or whatever it's called); compressors, limiters, and EQ that were not so simple to apply.

Not saying we should go back to the 50's, but maybe try to be a little less reliant on all the toys, bells, and whistles as while they can produce a slick product they also warp everyone's, especially those in production and the final listeners', sense of what is 'real', and also distracting studio musicians from recording music by demanding (or creating) unrealistic levels of precision which cannot be reproduced live on stage.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I also cant go back that far, but agree wholeheartedly with Chibear.

The biggest thing that has changed IMO is the loss of emphasis on getting things "right" at the source. It used to be mandatory. Now it seems to lack importance to all but those who really know better than to spend so much time fixing half assed amateur performances and recordings, which seems to be the common workflow for most these days.

Would I go back to tape and hardware? No way. Do I miss some of the methods and qualities? Hell yes. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

AHornsby

Postby AHornsby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:25 am

chibear wrote: unrealistic levels of precision which cannot be reproduced live on stage.

The word of wisdom...

chibear

Postby chibear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 am

This came across my FaceBook feed this morning and is appropriate to this discussion.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/07/brian-eno-explains-the-loss-of-humanity-in-modern-music.html
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 am

chibear wrote:This came across my FaceBook feed this morning and is appropriate to this discussion.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/07/brian-eno-explains-the-loss-of-humanity-in-modern-music.html

Or, as the Three-eyed Raven said last night "Chaos is a ladder."
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

Return to “General Music Topics”