Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Using midi as sound source

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

paulsaunderspriem

Using midi as sound source

Postby paulsaunderspriem » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 pm

I write songs and use Mixcraft 8 Pro to record them. A great DAW. I'm physically handicapped and the only instrument I play is the Chromatic Harmonica. So..... I write keyboard parts in midi and I want to bend some of the notes using the pitch wheel on my midi keyboard in real time i.e. as the midi track is playing and output the result , hopefully some tastefully bent notes, to a recorded track . Can this be done? Apologies if this is a daft question!

Acoustica Greg

Re: Using midi as sound source

Postby Acoustica Greg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi,

Mixcraft will record any pitch wheel data your MIDI controller sends along with the notes, so yes.

You can also manually edit pitch wheel data.

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 am

Good afternoon,

Manually entering pitch/mod info with MC is kind of a bummer, would much rather see something akin to an automation line/point/curve interface, because the bar graph device is frankly inscrutable for that task.

Best,

-N
Last edited by bigaquarium on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:02 am

bigaquarium wrote:Manually entering pitch/mod info with MC is kind of a bummer, would much rather see something akin to an automation line/point/curve interface, because the bar graph device is frankly inscrutable for that task.

You can reduce or turn off the snap setting in the piano roll to get finer control over manually entering the pitch wheel data.

Jazmaan

Postby Jazmaan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm

I have a similar related question. I also play harmonica. But I use the Lekholm DM-48 harmonica based Wind Synth midi controller with Mixcraft 8 pro. I'm not so much even interested in recording. I'm just using Mixcraft as a real time source of wind synth sampled patches. In other words I blow through the DM48 and the sound goes through Mixcraft and Kontakt and whatever Windsynth I've got loaded and comes out of my computer. With me so far?

Ok the Lekholm DM-48 is set to Multichannel so that each hole of the harmonica gets its own midi channel. (This makes it easier to independently control each hole of the harmonica.) Harmonica is a chordal instrument so that I may be blowing into 4 or more holes simultaneoously. In Mixcraft I'll have 4 or more tracks each set to its own midi channel with its own instance of whatever Kontakt patch I'm using.

I ALSO HAVE A SEPARATE PITCH BENDER, a little joystick just to control pitchbend. My problem is that the pitchbender is only transmitting on Midi Channel 1. Is there a way within Mixcraft to route that Pitchbend signal to multiple midi channels simultaneously in real time so that I can bend multiple tracks at once?

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi,

Does the joystick show up as a separate USB device?

You could create a track and route it to the harmonica tracks. You'd arm the pitch bend track for the joystick's USB device, like so:

pitch_bend_and_harmonica.png
Routing MIDI to four tracks
pitch_bend_and_harmonica.png (127.18 KiB) Viewed 563 times

Greg

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Blink....

Whoa! (Think "The Matrix "Whoa!)

Ok Greg, so your saying.....

I can potentially use a basic usb controller/device, routed to multiple tracks, to control a cc# ( or even different cc's) on each of the multiple tracks. :o

Whoa.

I don't have any idea what I would do with this new knowlege, but....

mumble, mumble, think, head hurts........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Jazmaan

Postby Jazmaan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping for. I will give it a try and report back!

Return to “Mixcraft”