Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Is there a video tutorial on how to do bus routing?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

dathyr1

Is there a video tutorial on how to do bus routing?

Postby dathyr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:38 pm

I think I have the right terminology for what I am looking for Mixcraft 6. Looking for
a video tutorial I can watch to see how this mutli channel or bus routing works for Mixcraft. Dont know if that is the same thing or different operations. Still learning.

I have never done this yet, and trying to understand or how to do this routing and
re-directing of channels for some of the various Synths plugins I have.
A few of them have multi channels within the plugin itself and I dont know how to get
the various sounds from this multi channel Plugin to play all the different channels at one time and on seperate tracks within Mixcraft other than getting just one selected channel to play.

hope I explained what I am looking for,

take care,

Dave

dathyr1

Re: Is there a video tutorial on how to do bus routing?

Postby dathyr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:56 pm

To condense my question down.

If I setup 6 midi tracks in Mixcraft 6, how do I route the tracks to play the instruments in 1 multi channel instrument plugin that has several instruments within that plugin?

Is that bus routing, or called something else? Again still learning some of this semi advanced stuff.

take care,

Dave

dathyr1

Postby dathyr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Ahhh Using Lanes. I setup 4 lanes for the Kontakt 5 track and set each lane to a different midi channel.

Recorded midi on channel one and it played back the channel one instrument in Kontakt 5

Moved that same midi recording from channel one lane to channel two lane and it played the midi channel 2 instrument in Kontakt 5.

So i think I found or understand how to do multi instrument plugins in just one track.

Learn something new everyday.

If there is another way besides this method, let me know what all the options are.

Cool stuff,

Dave

dathyr1

Postby dathyr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:05 pm

The only thing I dont see at the moment with using lanes is doing separate automation with/for each lane.

I can create automation on the overall Kontakt 5 plugin, but not for each of the individual muti channel instruments which I have setup as separate lanes. At least I dont think so.

For the mixer control, looks like there is just one overall Volume, etc for entire Kontakt 5 program track, not for each of my 4 individual lanes I setup for playing the 4 instruments within Kontakt5.

Looks like I can go in and edit the lane track and change individual paramaters in the edit window that way.

Now Kontakt 5 has automation CC controller parameters that can be setup, have to play around with that and see if that controls the indvidual lane instruments, volumes, etc. I guess I am talking to myself now. <lol>

Back to testing stuff again,

Dave

dathyr1

Postby dathyr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm

It all works

I Setup the CC parameters in Kontakt 5-I assigned each volume for the the three insturments to a CC number within Kontakt 5.

Opened up the automation track for the Kontakt 5 track in Mixcraft and selected each of the CC volumes and changed some of the levels as a test.

Played the kontakt track and the automation varied the three instruments volumes in Kontakt5.

I have done this on a single instrument many times, but first time trying it with a multi instrument plugin.

Dont know if there is a limit on how many automation parameters I can control?
Or how many lanes i can setup for each of the multi insturments?

Onto learn more,

Dave

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:45 am

I have had some similar questions and wish you could show us graphically what you are figuring out, because while the description gets me close to understanding, a video, or at least some screen shots might make it clearer.
Good detective work though!
Hey Acoustica! We need some tutorial content on this!
Q1: What are lanes and how does this work?
Q2: What are some common (and perhaps not so common) uses for these tools?
Thanks as always Acoustica!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

dathyr1

Postby dathyr1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:13 am

How I setup Kontakt 5 multi instruments on just one track in Mixcraft 6 and setup automated volume control of the instruments within Kontakt 5:

Kontakt 5 VST setup:

1. Inserted/added a new midi track in Mixcraft 6.
2. Select Kontakt 5 as the VST instrument for that track.
3. Open up/edit Kontakt 5 in Mixcraft and selected/added any 3 instruments each on separate MIDI
channels. Midi Channels, 1, 2, and 3 were selected for my test.
4 Still within Kontakt 5(on the left near the top ) You will see a tab called "Auto". Click on that.
That opens a CC controller list with nothing assigned yet.
5. With the mouse, left click and hold CC #001 and drag it across the screen and drop it on the
volume control of the first instrument which is on midi channel 1. This now assigns CC#001 to
that instrument volume.
6. Repeat the process for assigning CC #002 and CC #003 to the other 2 instruments in Kontakt 5.
So Kontakt 5 should now be set for volume control automation setup in Mixcraft 6
7. Close the edit window for kontakt 5 and start the setup for Mixcraft

Note: You can do this setup for any control for the kontakt instruments, I just selected the
Volume controls for each instrument.

LANE Setup in Mixcraft 6:

1. Select the Kontakt 5 midi track.
2. Right click with the mouse just to the left of the little keyboard. A window should pop up.
3. Go to the "lane" selection and then in another pop up window select "Add lane"
You should now have two lanes up on the screen. The original plus the new one just added.
4. Repeat step 3 to add the 3rd lane to the Kontakt 5 track.
5. Now, select the top lane(first lane), Right click with the mouse anywhere within/inside the 1st
lane and a pop up window should come up. Go down and select "lanes" and then in another
window select MIDI.
6. Assign that lane to MIDI channel 1. When you do this the lane will have the description in it
Saying it is set for Channel 01.
7. Repeat the processes steps 5 and 6 for setup of Lanes 2 and 3.
8. You should now have 3 lanes setup for channels 1, 2, and 3 and ready for recording anything.

AUTOMATION setup in Mixcraft for separate volume control of Kontakt 5 instruments:

1. Select the Kontakt 5 track
2. Again, Right click with the mouse(just to the left of the little keyboard) and select "Show
Automation Lanes" and the automation lane track will open up below the Kontak5 track.
3. Select that arrow down tab in the automation track and a window should pop up.
4. Find and select where it says Kontakt 5. You should now see all the CC parameters and the
3 that you set for volume controls for CC #001, #002, #003. Should be listed as instrument
names.
5. Select each of those CC volume controls and they should show up as a list just above the
word Kontakt. Plus it will have the name of the instrument that you are controlling.
6. You can only see/set one CC controller lane at a time, so select the first instrument and then
make your volume changes as needed for automation.
7. Repeat the process for the other two instrument volume automation lanes.

You should now have 3 lanes setup for recording midi data for the three instruments in Kontakt 5.
You should now have 3 automation lanes setup to control the separate volume controllers of each
instrument in Kontakt 5.

Still refining the process, but seems pretty easy to do now. There might be other ways to do this, but this is one way I have found to control multi instrument plugins.

Hope this kind of explains how I setup up multi instrument plugin to work on a single track.
Sorry I dont have a way to do a video on this. Maybe Acoustica can go though some of this, or maybe they have already. Not sure where the video tutorials are for Mixcraft.

take care,

Dave :)

chibear

Postby chibear » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Dave!

Excellent explanation. I had figured out Lanes in MC but not multi instruments in Kontakt, being a new user. Your post should be made into a sticky both here and the NI forums.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube

Return to “Mixcraft”