How I setup Kontakt 5 multi instruments on just one track in Mixcraft 6 and setup automated volume control of the instruments within Kontakt 5:
Kontakt 5 VST setup:
1. Inserted/added a new midi track in Mixcraft 6.
2. Select Kontakt 5 as the VST instrument for that track.
3. Open up/edit Kontakt 5 in Mixcraft and selected/added any 3 instruments each on separate MIDI
channels. Midi Channels, 1, 2, and 3 were selected for my test.
4 Still within Kontakt 5(on the left near the top ) You will see a tab called "Auto". Click on that.
That opens a CC controller list with nothing assigned yet.
5. With the mouse, left click and hold CC #001 and drag it across the screen and drop it on the
volume control of the first instrument which is on midi channel 1. This now assigns CC#001 to
that instrument volume.
6. Repeat the process for assigning CC #002 and CC #003 to the other 2 instruments in Kontakt 5.
So Kontakt 5 should now be set for volume control automation setup in Mixcraft 6
7. Close the edit window for kontakt 5 and start the setup for Mixcraft
Note: You can do this setup for any control for the kontakt instruments, I just selected the
Volume controls for each instrument.
LANE Setup in Mixcraft 6:
1. Select the Kontakt 5 midi track.
2. Right click with the mouse just to the left of the little keyboard. A window should pop up.
3. Go to the "lane" selection and then in another pop up window select "Add lane"
You should now have two lanes up on the screen. The original plus the new one just added.
4. Repeat step 3 to add the 3rd lane to the Kontakt 5 track.
5. Now, select the top lane(first lane), Right click with the mouse anywhere within/inside the 1st
lane and a pop up window should come up. Go down and select "lanes" and then in another
window select MIDI.
6. Assign that lane to MIDI channel 1. When you do this the lane will have the description in it
Saying it is set for Channel 01.
7. Repeat the processes steps 5 and 6 for setup of Lanes 2 and 3.
8. You should now have 3 lanes setup for channels 1, 2, and 3 and ready for recording anything.
AUTOMATION setup in Mixcraft for separate volume control of Kontakt 5 instruments:
1. Select the Kontakt 5 track
2. Again, Right click with the mouse(just to the left of the little keyboard) and select "Show
Automation Lanes" and the automation lane track will open up below the Kontak5 track.
3. Select that arrow down tab in the automation track and a window should pop up.
4. Find and select where it says Kontakt 5. You should now see all the CC parameters and the
3 that you set for volume controls for CC #001, #002, #003. Should be listed as instrument
5. Select each of those CC volume controls and they should show up as a list just above the
word Kontakt. Plus it will have the name of the instrument that you are controlling.
6. You can only see/set one CC controller lane at a time, so select the first instrument and then
make your volume changes as needed for automation.
7. Repeat the process for the other two instrument volume automation lanes.
You should now have 3 lanes setup for recording midi data for the three instruments in Kontakt 5.
You should now have 3 automation lanes setup to control the separate volume controllers of each
instrument in Kontakt 5.
Still refining the process, but seems pretty easy to do now. There might be other ways to do this, but this is one way I have found to control multi instrument plugins.
Hope this kind of explains how I setup up multi instrument plugin to work on a single track.
Sorry I dont have a way to do a video on this. Maybe Acoustica can go though some of this, or maybe they have already. Not sure where the video tutorials are for Mixcraft.