It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sound Device Preferences
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm 

First my audio interface is a PreSonis AudioBox 1818VSL.

I am now using the Wave RT option in MixCraft and have chosen “Exclusive Mode”. Everything is working like this. I do not use the VSL mixing software that is included with the AudioBox.
My question; is there any advantage to using ASIO? If I read the AudioBox manual correctly looks like I can record at a 24bit level, but then I am limited to four cannels rather than eight.
If anyone out there is using this interface with MixCraft I would to know your expierence.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm 

Hi,

If WaveRT exclusive mode is working well for you, stick with it. The audio quality will be the same (assuming the same quality settings, of course).

If you end up having problems with timing, or you're having crashes or freezing or whatever, try switching to ASIO.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 am 

Hey guys, can I interject here with a question?

Why is it that when exclusive mode is selected, it limits recording to 16 bits. Is it not more beneficial then to use without exclusive mode (32 bit floating) or ASIO 24 bit?

Attachments:
waveRT.jpg
waveRT.jpg [ 71.87 KiB | Viewed 989 times ]

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 am 

trevlyns, that limitation is typical and comes from your WaveRT driver. So yes, if you want higher bit depth you'll have to use a different setting.

I'm curious, what options do you get when exclusive mode is not selected? If 24 bit becomes available, have you tried it and do you notice any increased latency?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 am 

Hi VA

De-selecting exclusive mode in waveRT only leaves me one option - 44100 HZ, 32 bits and the lowest latency setting of 20ms.

Latency is not really an issue for me. I only record one instrument at a time. Say I'm recording a guitar part. I'll have my amp fairly close mic'ed with a SM 57 but I don't use "monitor incoming audio". Instead I just use my nearfields at a low volume to hear playback and obviously my amp as an instrument monitor. Because the SM57 points away from the main monitors, and volumes are low, there is no bleed of any consequence.

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:59 am 

I never could gettheWave RT to work correctly so I gave up & just use the ASIO w/ my M-Audio c400.
the only downside is,to listen to playback through the computer routed monitors or after burning down to mp3,wav etc. I have to switch over to Wave in preferences.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 am 

http://tweakheadz.com/16_vs_24_bit_audio.htm

I may be wrong here but the bit depth of 16 or 24 is not the same as the 32 bit floating point format that shows up when you de-select “exclusive Mode”. Refer to above article.
One other thing how did you get that screen shot as an attachment, it is great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 am 

We can discuss sound quality forever and not reach a consensus. That said my goal here is to record at 48kHz and 24bit. My hesitation in choosing the ASIO option is due to the fact that because of my own ignorance I had one hell of a time getting to where I am now with the AudioBox 1818 and am afraid I’ll screw it up. I suppose I can always go back to WaveRT if need be (I hope!).
So here is a question I don’t see an answer to: What is the recording bit depth if I choose WaveRT and don’t select “Exclusive Mode”? Could it be that it is the setting of the AudioBox 1818? If so then I may be able to record at 41kHz, 24 bit with the WaveRT option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 am 

You can attach files using the "Upload Attachment" box that is directly below the "Post A Reply" box when you are replying to a comment. Just scroll down a little!
Attachment:
BBS_Attachment.png
BBS_Attachment.png [ 6.07 KiB | Viewed 960 times ]

rbeach wrote:
So here is a question I don’t see an answer to: What is the recording bit depth if I choose WaveRT and don’t select “Exclusive Mode”? Could it be that it is the setting of the AudioBox 1818? If so then I may be able to record at 41kHz, 24 bit with the WaveRT option.

You're correct, that depends on the WaveRT driver and how the 1818 handles it. Probably the only way you'll ever know is if you try it. :) Switch to WaveRT, uncheck Exclusive Mode and see what options you have. But don't forget your previous settings if you want to switch back!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm 

I get adding the attachment, I don't get how to get the screen shot in the first place! I know ignorance again.

As to the WaveRT I thought perhaps Greg or someone at Acoustica might know. Seem logical that since there is no option for choosing a bit depth you must either have no option and it is fixed in Mixcraft, or it uses what is set in the audio device.
Thanks for all the help.
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 pm 

Hi,

Your options with WaveRT will vary depending on your audio drivers. You'll just have to check it out.

WaveRT "Exclusive Mode" is good for people who are concerned about latency. If the bit depth is the priority, you don't need low latency, and turning off exclusive mode gives you more options for bit depth, then go for it.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 pm 

rbeach wrote:
I get adding the attachment, I don't get how to get the screen shot in the first place! I know ignorance again.

Just hit the Print Screen button on the keyboard (usually Prt Scr) and paste in a program like paint. You can then trim and save as a jpeg.

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:54 pm 

Ok I get the print screen thing. I just never could tell that anything was happening, never tried to paste from the clipboard, oh boy. Thanks trevlyns

So Greg are you saying ( and I apologize for being dense) that I can either have higher recording quality or low latency but not both? I finally found where to set the sample rate and bit depth in the AudioBox driver. It was not where I was looking. When I use the ASIO driver option I do hear some latency, not bad, but not as good as the WaveRT in exclusive mode. I don't see anywhere to change latency in the ASIO driver settings though. Thanks again for your patience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:07 pm 

Hi,

No, that's not set in stone. It all depends on your particular audio drivers. Mixcraft is just presenting the settings that are available in the audio drivers.

If your ASIO driver doesn't have a latency setting, it might have buffer settings. The lower the buffer settings, the lower the latency, but if you set them too low, you'll get glitching or skipping audio.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:11 pm 

Found this in the AudioBox manual. Of course this change needs to be made in the Virtual Studio program. I find the PreSonis approach a pain.

"As a general rule, the higher the buffer size, the better the system performance, but the less playable virtual instruments and the like become. In general, 512 samples (11 to 12 milliseconds) will provide you with a large enough buffer for optimum system performance, but low enough to be unobtrusive."

Do you think I need to change of these pairs of inputs? looks like it to me.

Attachment:
Screen Shot1.jpg
Screen Shot1.jpg [ 110.72 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]