Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Record MIDI Arpeggiator Output to another Channel

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Acoustica Greg

Re: Record MIDI Arpeggiator Output to another Channel

Postby Acoustica Greg » Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm

lfarrolas wrote:Thanks for your quick reply, Greg.

I need to be more precise: I am not using an arpeggiator, I'm using a generative VST (Nova3 - https://tonecarver.wordpress.com/nova3- ... encer-vst/) and I suppose (maybe wrongly?) that Nova3 is generating the midi notes (after all, I can hear them played in the synth).

But the notes do not "record" in the midi clip.

Hi,

In order to do that, you could use a MIDI loopback utility like LoopBe or LoopMIDI. You would direct the output of Nova3 to the loopback utility and arm a virtual instrument track to record the output of the loopback utility.

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Wed May 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

There is a bug filed on that particular problem, and it should hopefully be fixed in the next build.

That's different from what we're talking about in this case.

Greg

I am aware the bug report exists; I added myself to the CC list soon after you posted that bug. I'm wondering if the two issues are in fact related, as they both involve the Route-to-track feature failing to correctly send edited MIDI data to the receiving track.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Wed May 31, 2017 4:19 pm

Anorax wrote:I am aware the bug report exists; I added myself to the CC list soon after you posted that bug. I'm wondering if the two issues are in fact related, as they both involve the Route-to-track feature failing to correctly send edited MIDI data to the receiving track.

Hi,

Even if Route To Track passed along the output of a virtual instrument (like an arpeggiator) to another track, you still wouldn't be able to record it. The MIDI data would make the virtual instrument on the track sound, but the notes wouldn't be recorded. You'd still have to use a loopback utility. Mixcraft doesn't have an option to record the MIDI output of a virtual instrument directly.

Greg

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Wed May 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Even if Route To Track passed along the output of a virtual instrument (like an arpeggiator) to another track, you still wouldn't be able to record it. The MIDI data would make the virtual instrument on the track sound, but the notes wouldn't be recorded. You'd still have to use a loopback utility. Mixcraft doesn't have an option to record the MIDI output of a virtual instrument directly.

Greg
Ah, I understand you now.

Maybe in Mixcraft 9? ;-)

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Anorax wrote:In the following setup, the route to track option ignores the MIDI input of the arpeggiator, sending MIDI to track 2 as if the BLUEArp plugin is disabled.
What should be happening is that the MIDI information played by the Acoustica Instruments piano in this track sould also be the same as the MIDI information received by the instruments on track 2. However, they are not.

Absolutely right Anorax. For some reason when I requested this function last year on the Facebook page, when using Mixcraft 7, people were determined to drive me insane refusing to understand what I was talking about i.e. the need to be able to record the output of software Sequencers and Arps (like BlueArp). The refusal to understand this simple point persisted for weeks. Anyway, my brain eventually recovered after buying a keystep and a beatstep pro (expensive therapy) and hopefully Mixcraft will soon have that initial deficit rectified properly :wink: 8)
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 418 (64bit)
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2).

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 am

Hi,

This feature request was logged a while ago. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Greg

Return to “Mixcraft”