Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

"Save as MIDI file" changes instrument bug

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

dennis

"Save as MIDI file" changes instrument bug

Postby dennis » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:31 am

When I export a project with a decent amount of tracks to a midi file, certain tracks randomly end up with a drum kit instead of their assigned instrument. I made an example project to demonstrate this:
midibug.mx8
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Track 10 contains 0:0 Stereo Grand but when you do "Save as MIDI file" and open that midi, track 10 contains 128:0 Standard.

I hope this can get fixed soon because it's annoying having to randomly insert empty tracks at glitch spots to try to mitigate this. Thanks in advance.

I use Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio 64-Bit Build 396.

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: "Save as MIDI file" changes instrument bug

Postby Acoustica Eric » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks for reporting it, I was able to reproduce the issue with the project you supplied and have reported it to the developers.

Anorax

Postby Anorax » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:42 pm

It seems that Mixcraft is trying to output your tracks into standard MIDI format, while assuming each track is equivalent to that MIDI channel.

What's happening in Track 10 (which is becoming MIDI Channel 10) is that in standard MIDI use, Channel 10 is reserved for percussion. Instead of just outputting your MIDI as-is, Mixcraft is trying to set up the percussion channel so that you wouldn't have playback issues on MIDI-capable hardware or software that wouldn't know how to handle non-percussion MIDI on Channel 10.

dennis

Postby dennis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 am

That seems to be the case, yes. Additionally, because there are only 16 midi tracks, the instrument on midi track 17 will override the instrument on track 1, track 18 overrides track 2 etc.

Did it always work like this? I never encountered this until recently.
At least I now know the logic so it isn't guesswork anymore.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 am

dennis wrote:That seems to be the case, yes. Additionally, because there are only 16 midi tracks, the instrument on midi track 17 will override the instrument on track 1, track 18 overrides track 2 etc.

Did it always work like this? I never encountered this until recently.
At least I now know the logic so it isn't guesswork anymore.

Hi,

What do you mean when you say there are only 16 MIDI tracks? Do you mean there are only 16 MIDI channels? If so, how are you getting MIDI channel 18 in the first place? 16 is standard.

If you are talking about tracks, are you using Mixcraft 8 Home Studio or something? There's no limitation on the number of tracks in Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio or Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

dennis

Postby dennis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 am

I meant midi channels.

Anorax wrote:It seems that Mixcraft is trying to output your tracks into standard MIDI format, while assuming each track is equivalent to that MIDI channel.

Because Mixcraft allows more than 16 tracks and tries to map them to 16 MIDI channels, every track above 16 will loop back so track 16 gets channel 16, track 17 gets channel 1, track 18 gets channel 2 etc.

When I have a harp on track 5 and a piano on track 21, then the harp gets overridden by the piano because 21-16=5.

This means that you can have more than 16 tracks but no more than 16 different instruments, of which one (channel 10) is always percussion. I don't know how midi tracks / channels work exactly but this is the first time for me encountering such a limitation. I don't know if this is MIDI-specific or Mixcraft-specific.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 am

Hi,

Can you please post a project that illustrates this issue?

Greg

dennis

Postby dennis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 am

I don't know whether this is an issue with Mixcraft or just a limitation of MIDI, but here it is:
17tracks.mx8
(77.07 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Track 1 contains five piano notes, track 17 has a xylophone assigned and no notes. When I play back the midi in Windows Media Player, the first piano note has a piano sound but the rest of the notes on track 1 now sound like a xylophone.

When you import the midi back into Mixcraft track 1 remains a piano however , it's only happening at playback of the exported midi (unlike the "track 10 becomes standard kit" thing).

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 am

Hi,

These two things are both bugs. Thank you for reporting them! We'll fix them in a future update.

Greg

Return to “Mixcraft”