Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Orchestral VSTs

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

BillW

Re: Orchestral VSTs

Postby BillW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:01 am

... and it looks like Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE is a 64 bit engine only. Not 32 bit.

One of these days I'm going to have to bite the bullet and move up to 64 bit Mixcraft. But I probably need a more powerful machine.
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:08 am

Hey Bill,

According to this:
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-insp ... -gb/specs/
your PC came with a 64 bit OS. It's my understanding that the main benefit of 64 bit is the ability to use more ram (over 4gb). According to Acoustica, you can have 32 and 64bit installed concurrently. If it doesn't work out no harm done?

Tom
Tom Was Already Taken, Therefore Thomas
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram 7200RPM HDD
Behringer UMC404HD v4.59 interface

BillW

Postby BillW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:27 pm

I do have a 64bit machine and tried 64bit Mixcraft at one time. I recall there was performance issues with it - but worth trying again I suppose.

Curious - in that I recall buying and installing memory up to the max (8 gig for this machine) but diagnostics only shows 4 gig.

I'm going to open up the machine to test my "memory" about how much memory I have. Maybe one of the memory slots failed.
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.

outteh

Postby outteh » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Your windows version would be the deciding issue on memory availability. What are you using and is it the 64 bit version?

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:00 pm

As an OS, Windows 10 64 bit will indeed support substantially more than 8 Gb of RAM, perhaps 128 GB for Win 10 Home and 512 GB for Pro. However, PC makers certify their machine for a lesser amount sometimes. I don't know if it's the mother board or some other factor. Then again, installing more than what Dell recommends might work fine... or it may present some issues. I have not yet gone that high in RAM to find out. My rig, according to HP supports up to 16 GB and I've taken it from 6 (stock) to 10 GB.

Word of caution on handling the RAM (for anyone interested). In case you're unfamiliar, I normally ground myself before handling RAM and am careful how I touch the modules, trying to handle the edges if possible. My son recently lost a module. At first he re-seated the module and it worked, but he went back in for something else and well... it don't work no more. :|
Tom Was Already Taken, Therefore Thomas
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram 7200RPM HDD
Behringer UMC404HD v4.59 interface

shayneoneill

Postby shayneoneill » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:29 am

BillW wrote:Thanks chibear.

Full version of Kontakt would open more doors for me. I do need to consider that avenue.

EWQL seems like it would in fact be best. But the price is pretty steep for what I'm willing to spend now.

All in all, great and very helpful information!

Do consider the EWQL "Composer cloud" thing though. You get a *huge* amount of content for your $19 a month. Both the EWQL Orchestra library, but also the hollywood strings/brass/etc libraries which are total monsters. Then theres all the stormdrums, and a few fun libraries like the Fab 4 one, some film composer oriented ones and your standard EDM type things.

The only real downside to the EWQL stuff is they can be a bit inconsistent with how articulations are set up so I've resorted to using a scripting plugin to simplify how it works (Ie so the same keyswitches for, say, Legato apply to strings and brass, or whatever) .... something I havent got to work yet on Mixcraft being that I'm new to it.

You'll need a decent machine and if possible an SSD with space to burn if you want to throw lots and lots of tracks of the hollywood libraries on (They can be huuuuuuge) but they do sound great, and compared throwing upwards of tens of thousands at the Vienna libraries (possibly the gold standard, but dear lord are they expensive) the $19 a month, which you can cancel of course, seems a pretty safe way to at least test the waters.
Windows 10. Intel i7 quadcore something. 16gigs ram. assorted mech and SSD hard drives.
Focusrite liquid pre 56. 2x Golden age 73 pres. FMR Audio RNC compressor.
Tascam 38 tape, and Yamaha 8 track cassette portastudio like a boss.

shayneoneill

Postby shayneoneill » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:32 am

Thomas wrote:As an OS, Windows 10 64 bit will indeed support substantially more than 8 Gb of RAM, perhaps 128 GB for Win 10 Home and 512 GB for Pro. However, PC makers certify their machine for a lesser amount sometimes. I don't know if it's the mother board or some other factor. Then again, installing more than what Dell recommends might work fine... or it may present some issues. I have not yet gone that high in RAM to find out. My rig, according to HP supports up to 16 GB and I've taken it from 6 (stock) to 10 GB.

Word of caution on handling the RAM (for anyone interested). In case you're unfamiliar, I normally ground myself before handling RAM and am careful how I touch the modules, trying to handle the edges if possible. My son recently lost a module. At first he re-seated the module and it worked, but he went back in for something else and well... it don't work no more. :|

My motherboards certified to 16gig. I'm running 32 gig lol. Its usually fine. Its just an old second hand Xeon dual cpu board from when 4gig sticks where "large". Though I had to take back some of the faster sticks which straight up confused it which I'll probably upgrade to one of those slick threadripper setups + DDR4 when the cash flow improves
Windows 10. Intel i7 quadcore something. 16gigs ram. assorted mech and SSD hard drives.
Focusrite liquid pre 56. 2x Golden age 73 pres. FMR Audio RNC compressor.
Tascam 38 tape, and Yamaha 8 track cassette portastudio like a boss.

Return to “Mixcraft”