Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Backing up photos

Support and feedback for Photos Forever.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Mcfly

Backing up photos

Postby Mcfly » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 am

I have a problem, I backed up all my photo's and the last disk it only used 1/4 of it. I then tried to back up new pictures and it asked for a new disk. Am I going to have to put in a new disk after all back up? This could be very expensive if you are backing up a small amount of files. I've seen that most backup's that use the incremental system will not close the disk untill it's full. Thanks

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:48 am

Hi,

First off, I have to ask the obvious question: you're using CD-RW discs or DVD-RW or DVD+RW discs, right?

Assuming you're using CD-RW or DVD-/+discs, try putting the disc in first and then starting the program.

Finally, the program won't back up to partially full discs if you are in Goldenhawk mode, so you can try switching to IMAPI. Click on the Windows Start menu, select All Programs, then Acoustica Photos Forever, then Config, then Use-IMAPI.

Greg

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:39 am

Acually i'm just using cd-r, the reason I'm using it is because you can have multi sessions on it and I was hoping that is what you software would do, other wise you are taking the chance on not backing up right away untill you have a bunch so your not wasting a full cd on small amounts.

Another problem I encountered was, I did my orginal backup using a dvd now that I have smaller ones I was going to use a cd and it won't let me. It wants a dvd and it will start. Will this change by using the imapi setting?

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Postby Acoustica Eric » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:52 am

Hi, when you start PF, start a new session with "new photos", (one's that have not been backed up yet). Using the IMAPI driver should work if you want to use a cd-r.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:08 am

Ok that fixed changing from dvd to cd but I backed up 298 megs and it then closed it out wasting 402 megs on the disk. Is there any way to do multi sessions so you can fill it up or do I have to wait till I have 700 megs of photo? If I have to wait till I have 700 megs then aren't you taking a very big chance of loosing that data.

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Postby Acoustica Eric » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:45 pm

Photos Forever closes the disks so that they are safer for storage. With cd-r disks costing something like 22 cents, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1934
I don't worry about using every bit of space available on them. I put what I want on the cd, close it and store it.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:31 am

Hi,

You can only write to CD-R discs once, no matter what software you're using. If you want to keep a disc open for further burning, you have to use CD-RW discs.

That said, you might be able to do what you want to do with CD-RW discs and Photos Forever in IMAPI mode. In Goldenhawk mode our softare always writes in Disc-at-once (DAO) mode and closes the disc session.

Greg

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi,

Actually, Eric tells me you can burn more than one session on a CD-R disc as long as it's a data session, so the thing to try would be switching to IMAPI.

Greg

quicksilver

Postby quicksilver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:06 pm

I wish that was the problem I am having. I can not burn a backup on a DVD at all. All I get is a pop up that reads " there is a problem burning/testing IMAPL_E_GENERIC I posted for help a few days ago and nobody has come to my aid. You sould be so lucky!

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Postby Acoustica Eric » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 am

You submitted a support request? We answer all requests unless something out of the ordinary happens like a spam filter mistakes our reply, etc.
Have you tried goldenhawk mode from the Start>programs>Acoustica Photos Forever menu?

quicksilver

Postby quicksilver » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 am

Yes It was set in Goldenhawk, switch to IMAPI also, same results

AccusticDan

Re: Backing up photos

Postby AccusticDan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 am

if you have a half of the disc full don't close the session( if it's possible) if you close session that's mean the disk is closed for more data. Use flash drive instead of CD. You can get 128GB, no one is using CD like no one is using Internet Explorer.

Return to “Photos Forever”