It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Microphone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am 

I have bought a good microphone (Shure SM58) and connected to computer. Mixcraft recognize it and advise a new input device has been connected. But the result is very poor, the volume is particulary low: pratically it's impossible to hear except if you put the ear attached to an loudspeaker. I suppose the reason is this microphone, not made for computer but for other kind of performance, has to be preamplificated before to enter in a computer. Is this suspect right? In this case which apparatus should I buy? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 am 

The SM58 was my first microphone. It's not that great for studio recording, honestly. It takes a lot of pushing and shoving with the EQ and compressors to make it sound acceptable. In the end, it's not worth it for studio recording. Live on the other hand, I always use my sm58. Recording, I have a Rode NT1-A. It's not 100% perfect, but it's the best I've found for the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 am 

Thanks for the information. My question was another: I have problems to monitor what the mike capture, the volume is terribly low. Before to connect it to computer have I to pre-amplifying it? In this case which preamplifier to choose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am 

The Behringer B-1 is a far better microphone for recording than the Shure SM58, and it's cheaper too, although, like all high quality condenser mics, it does require a phantom power supply.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

I'm going to have to disagree that an SM58 is not a good recording microphone, I use them almost exclusively in my studio, here's a couple CD's done with all SM58's on vocals.
Bottom Feeders - The Liquor Store
Eric VanLandingham - Meet My Demons
I have tons more too.

How do you have the 58 connected to the pc? Generally yes you want to run it into a mixing board or something first, then to the pc. If you don't have equipment like that then yes a usb mic or usb interface would be your home recording choice.

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation
Eric On A Giant chair ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 pm 

No offence intended, but I'm not particularly impressed with the dynamics of the vocals. My Behringer B-1 produces them much more crisply. I should also add that the AKG D5 is a much better dynamic mic than the Shure SM58, with better treble response, and much cheaper too.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

In the defense of the sound, that's a 112kb/s stream, there's going to be missing dynamics, and it also depends on how you eq, mix, etc. I pull all lows out of vocal tracks from 100hz on down.
I any case, the 58 is a fine mic for recording, most of the sound comes from the mixing afterward.
I am sure the mics you mention are just fine too.

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation
Eric On A Giant chair ;-)