It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Touch Instruments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:16 pm 

Pardon my ignorance. I'm going to buy a new laptop, and I don't currently have Mixcraft. I'd like to use a music creation program similar to Garageband. I see good things about Mixcraft. I just have one question: Does Mixcraft have 'touch instruments' or something similar to GB, that will allow me to create sounds from individual (built in) orchestra instruments, as well as guitar, bass, drums, piano, organ, synthesizer? I can't play all those instruments, but I'd like to create sound files with those sounds by simply touching the screen - kinda like Garageband allows. I'd prefer to buy a Windows 7 Laptop instead of a Macbook Pro so the answer to this will make a big difference.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Touch Instruments
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:41 am 

Hi there - I am assuming that you have tried Garageband on an iPad or iPhone?

The touch capability is a feature / limitation of whatever laptop you buy, not specifically the software.

In Mixcraft there is an onscreen MIDI keyboard that can control any of the MIDI instruments that you have loaded and many of the instruments that you can use have their own as well. If you have a laptop equiped with a touch screen then these keyboards will absolutely work (I use this all the time with many of my clients).

There are many MANY sounds shipped with Mixcraft including all manner of orchestral instruments and synths. In addition there are thousands available through the internet from 3rd parties (many of them are free).

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am 

I've seen Garageband running on a friend's iPad. I haven't actually used it myself. I have both a Windows PC Laptop and a WIndows 7 pad w/ touchscreen. Sounds like Mixcraft should work from either.

Thanks, Leni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 am 

I guess my next question is: Is there any difference in the user interface between the basic Mixcraft and the Mixcraft Pro Studio? I assume Pro Studio has more "whistles and bells" and probably more instrument sounds. I'm sure those things are worth the price - just curious if the user interface is the same.

Thanks, Leni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 pm 

Essentially you are correct - Pro adds bells and whistles. They are great Bells and Whistles (I personally think they are worth the extra).

Why dont you download the demo - fully functional for 14 days (and still very functional after that). If you do and you want to try playing instruments using the touch screen you need to make sure that when you open a virtual instrument you need to enable Musical Typing.

You should be aware that this is a generic keyboard and is functional rather than pretty, but it really does work well.

I also use my touch screen for track control and parameter changes.

Just out of interest I also use a free 3rd party on screen keyboard which is better in some areas and not so good in others. It is better in that I can change the settings so that it covers the whole width of the screen, however it doesn't give the same amount of control over things such as pitch bend etc.

I have attached a screenshot that has both the Mixcraft musical typing keyboard show and the freebie. You do have to also install a virtual midi port (also free) in order to make the onscreen keyboard work. If you want further info just ask.

Good luck

Cheers

John

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 225.04 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:29 pm 

to be honest one of the best investments you could make is an external midi keyboard. There are some great mini midi keyboards available at a really good price, and they are small enough to be carried in a laptop case. The first that spring to mind is the Korg Nano control 2, but I also have an Akai mpk mini. The Akai has full travel keys but they are both velocity sensitive. I paid less than £50 each for them - worth every penny.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm 

Thanks. I'll download the trial version of MC. If that works out as well as I suspect, I'll take a look at the mini midi keyboards.

Leni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:58 pm 

Slight correction there, John, the Korg would be the NanoKey 2. Works well with Mixcraft.

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:44 am 

Good catch trevlyns, the NanoKeys not control (it was late! ;-) )

Cheers

John