It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am 

Sorry, I put this in someone elses post originally. Thought I would post it by itself.

I would love to make a suggestion.
A programmable metronome.

I have songs (progressive) that have multiple tempo changes within the song. A metronome that could be set to a specified amount of measures at specific tempos would be incredible.

By the way, Mixcraft is awesome...thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am 

I havent had cause to try this, but assume it would be relatively easy to do.

Create an instrument track.
In the first measure put (as an example) a kick hit on beat 1 and a snare rim shot on 2, 3 and 4.
Duplicate the measure for as many times as required. Set your tempo, markers and changes up and you have your "metronome" track with tempo changes.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 am 

Hi,

If you use track markers to change tempo in Mixcraft, the metronome does reflect the change in tempo. Are you talking about something else?

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 am 

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Hi,

If you use track markers to change tempo in Mixcraft, the metronome does reflect the change in tempo. Are you talking about something else?

Greg

No, that's it. I probably need to work with track markers. I was looking for something directly with the metronome. Can you explain a little more detail as to what I should do?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 am 

I misunderstood, thought you wanted programmable sounds AND tempo changes.

Anyway, heres one place to start on using markers:
http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v6/help/index.html

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:20 am 

]I havent had cause to try this, but assume it would be relatively easy to do.

First off, thank you...I will try this when I get a chance. Basically I play drums, guitar, bass and keys myself. I am new to computer recording and always had a pro engineer on all our albums. The music was very much like Dream Theater/Queensryche with many tempo changes. Someone else in the band (I am primarily a singer/songwriter) would always map out the entire click track. So I thought this would be fairly simple where one could map out the measures and program the tempo shift via the number of beats.

Create an instrument track.
In the first measure put (as an example) a kick hit on beat 1 and a snare rim shot on 2, 3 and 4.

Can I just use a normal click or does one have to use drums?

Duplicate the measure for as many times as required. Set your tempo, markers and changes up and you have your "metronome" track with tempo changes.

So the mapped out tempo changes will be remembered?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am 

Hi,

Right-click on the timeline that runs along the top of Mixcraft's screen to add markers. You can then select the tempo option and choose the tempo you want.

Check out Mixcraft's tutorial and tips videos.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 am 

Quote:

If you just want to use the metronome, follow Gregs advise above. I for some reason thought you wanted a different sound. But yes, you could use any sound or sample you want to really.

Quote:

Yes, again, The tutorials Greg provided a link to, as well as the section of the Mixcraft manual in my link should explain the use of markers for tempo changes. Experiment with it a bit and you should pick it up quickly.

Personally, if I were looking to set up a song, especially a song with multiple tempo changes, I would try to use some kind of drum or rhythm track with some kind of "fills" or some way of signaling the upcoming tempo change. It could be a scratch track to be replaced by a more "finished" drum track later in the project developement or something along those lines.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:33 am 

mbliss wrote:
Quote:

If you just want to use the metronome, follow Gregs advise above. I for some reason thought you wanted a different sound. But yes, you could use any sound or sample you want to really.

Quote:

Yes, again, The tutorials Greg provided a link to, as well as the section of the Mixcraft manual in my link should explain the use of markers for tempo changes. Experiment with it a bit and you should pick it up quickly.

Personally, if I were looking to set up a song, especially a song with multiple tempo changes, I would try to use some kind of drum or rhythm track with some kind of "fills" or some way of signaling the upcoming tempo change. It could be a scratch track to be replaced by a more "finished" drum track later in the project developement or something along those lines.

Yeah I understand that. But I find when you play with a click for so many years and you know the songs inside and out you find that a drum "scratch" track gets in the way. My mind knows where the click is at all times. Plus there are soft classical guitar parts that go into heavy orchestrated parts. The drum track on the mellow parts would be yuck.

But thanks for the programming tips, I really appreciate it.