It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm 

Hi, total noob here, so sorry if this is a stupid question. I recently purchased Mixcraft 6 and Ezmix2 and am trying to teach myself how to record things properly. Yeah... I know.

Anyway, all the Mixcraft vsts (like the shread amp simulator) and whatnot sound fine with my guitar, but when I use most presets on ezmix from within Mixcraft, I get a weird, cutting in and out sound, almost like an extreme noise gate, certain presets are much worse than others. One of the lead settings cuts in and out over and over again and crackles weirdly.

The most bizarre thing is that I recorded something with this lead vst from ezmix being used and on playback it still sounded the same with the audio cutting out, but when I went to normalize the track (I was just playing around to see if I could fix it) everything became pretty close to crystal clear.

Long story short, ezmix presets have weird crackling sounds and cut out randomly in Mixcraft. If recorded and then normalized, it sounds fine which strikes me as very odd. Using the standalone Ezmix program, all of these presets sound perfect, it's only in Mixcraft that they sound all messed up.

In case it matters I am plugging in and recording through a M-Audio mobile pre

Hope someone can help me with this. I get the feeling that there must be some setting in Mixcraft that I'm missing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm 

Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft version 6.1 build 204?

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm 

No, mine says 6.0 build 196.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm 

Hi,

Try updating and see what happens.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm 

Updated and still have the exact same bizarre behavior.

The presets sound fine outside of Mixcraft. As soon as I try to lay down a track in mixcraft everything gets weird, cutting in and out on most of the complicated lead guitar presets and having what seems like a really nasty not always working noise gate on the distortions (sorry, best I can think of to describe)

Edit: for further clarification, the recording seems to come in just fine in mixcraft, as playing it with no fx and adding other fx to it like the Shred Amp Simulator it sounds fine with no cutting in and out. So the problem does not appear to be with my recording hardware, but with how Mixcraft is processing the Ezmix presets.

The presets I am using that are causing the most severe problems is the Metal Gods vst expansion: http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=169

Outside of Mixcraft, the Ezmix standalone program and the Metal Gods expansion sound perfectly fine. Awesome even.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 pm 

Hi,

What are your CPU meters doing in the lower right corner of Mixcraft's screen*?

Greg

*They won't be there if you have Windows XP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:44 pm 

I am using Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

4 gigs of RAM, M-Audio Mobilepre for soundcard/guitar interface.

I kept the task manager open while using Mixcraft, CPU usage according to task manager is only around 2-4% when not using any fx, and seems to spike between 3 and 8% when using Ezmix within Mixcraft. Not sure if that is what you were looking for but hopefully it helps.

Are there known performance problems with Windows XP?

Edit: RAM does not appear to be an issue, Mixcraft uses very little and I have multiple gigs of available RAM even when both Mixcraft and Ezmix are being used in tandem.