It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Files Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 am 

So I recorded a lot of tracks in Mixcraft 6 Home Studio and I'm very sure I saved my files correctly. The next day, when I opened a file to check on my recordings they were all replaced by a recording in another file. Like my guitar track for File 1 got replaced by the drum track in File 2 it's very weird and I have no idea what to do. I took me a long time to arrange and mix all these and now there all messed up. Please tell me what happened and what I can do to fix this.

Post subject: Re: Files Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm 

Hi,

The audio files are stored separately from the project files in Mixcraft. Each Mixcraft project file is looking for a specific pathname / filename.

For example, you might have a file named Audio Track1.wav in your recordings folder that is a guitar, like this:

C:\Username\Documents\My Recordings\Audio Track1.wav

If you move audio files around, or rename folders, or rename audio files, Mixcraft won't know. It's just looking for that particular pathname. So, if you put a vocal recording called Audio Track1.wav in that folder, then your guitar will suddenly be a vocal when you open that project.

It's hard to say what happened on your computer without more information, but that's what's going on. Select the sounds that are wrong and then look at the sound tab to see the name and the location of the file. Try to figure out what happened and see if you can put things back the way they were.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:57 am 

Hey thanks, it turns out that when I transferred my project files to my other hard drive, my tracks got mixed up lol. Thanks goodness they're still there. Now the problem is that my Mixcraft seems to be confused and gets other tracks from my other recording files. Any advice?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 am 

Ohh nevermind I figured it out cuz of the last thing you said. Thanks! Could you give me advice on how to avoid this in the future?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:24 am 

Man, Ive been there and its a real pain to reconstruct some times.

Advise: Use the "copy to folder" function and save a copy regularly to a back-up drive. Saves you a lot of headaches. (File>Save project files to>Folder)
(there were several discussions on the "copy to folder" function here recently, so a search should get you more on this.)

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 pm 

Hi,

Before you record on a track, double-click on the words "Audio Track" and change it to something specific, like "Lead Vocal" or "Guitar." All the files recorded on that track will then have a file name that starts with the name you've given the track. This makes it easier to figure out which file is which later on.

But the most important thing is to use that "Copy Project Files" option on the File menu if you need to move your projects. That option keeps all the necessary project files together in one place.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 am 

[quote="Acoustica Greg"]Hi,

Before you record on a track, double-click on the words "Audio Track" and change it to something specific, like "Lead Vocal" or "Guitar." All the files recorded on that track will then have a file name that starts with the name you've given the track. This makes it easier to figure out which file is which later on.

But the most important thing is to use that "Copy Project Files" option on the File menu if you need to move your projects. That option keeps all the necessary project files together in one place.

Greg[/quote]
what he said. I've finally figured out to name each track song title,insturment track,& number.
example- "one fine day rythym guitar 1".

also when you click-"record yourself or your band" I'd better name the song then or I have to search through multiple "mixcraft project #" files to find what it was. I can find it in recent projects but that doesn't show the full list if I work on say 10 songs in a night and when I click open project it shows the file in the pop up window but then Mixcraft searches for it but can't find it. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 pm 

"also when you click-"record yourself or your band" I'd better name the song then or I have to search through multiple "mixcraft project #" files to find what it was."

Speaking of this, how do you change the track name so that it changes the folder name as well? Say I start a project with the title "mixcraft project 3". How do I change that after it has been saved that way?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 am 

[quote="gibsonfan159"]"also when you click-"record yourself or your band" I'd better name the song then or I have to search through multiple "mixcraft project #" files to find what it was."

Speaking of this, how do you change the track name so that it changes the folder name as well? Say I start a project with the title "mixcraft project 3". How do I change that after it has been saved that way?[/quote]

file-"save as" & type in a song title.