It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 am 

Hey!

I've been using mixcraft for a while and I decided I wanted to use my MIDI keyboard in it (Gear4Music MK-906). So after connecting it up to my PC via USB, Mixcraft detected it (showed me the message saying there was a change in my number MIDI devices), and it is clearly in my MIDI devices list.

I'm sure my keyboard is turned on, I have selected an instrument (and tried various ones), but when I'm in musical typing, Mixcraft doesn't pick up my MIDI and won't play it. The only sound comes out of my actual keyboard. I even tried arming a virtual instrument track with my MIDI keyboard and tried recording but it still didn't.

I've also checked and my keyboard didn't come with drivers and there was none online. My Mixcraft audio setting is also WaveRT, and my track definitely isn't muted.

I'm using Windows 8 (if that makes a difference).

I'd appreciate help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 pm 

Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft 6.1 build 204?

Click on the "Change Instrument" option to the left of an instrument track (it looks like piano keys) and select piano or something. Can you hear it if you use musical typing? If you arm that track, then press the red record button and play your keyboard, can you record MIDI notes?

You won't be able to hear the actual sounds of your keyboard in Mixcraft, you'll just hear the sounds of whatever virtual instrument you've selected. If you want to record your keyboard's sounds, you could make an audio connection to your computer.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:20 pm 

I said I did that. I am using that build and no sound is coming out in musical typing and when I arm and record it doesn't pick up anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:39 pm 

Hi,

Which virtual instrument did you try with musical typing?

If you play an MP3 or a wave on an audio track, can you hear that?

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 pm 

Yes, I tried various instruments, bright Piano, acoustic piano and even tried the guitars. Yes I have made music in Mixcraft before and I hear MP3 files, loops and I can hear when I use my PC keyboard with musical typing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:55 pm 

Hi,

That's what I thought you meant when you said musical typing, that you couldn't hear it when you played notes on your PC's keyboard. But you can hear musical typing, so that tells us something.

If you arm an instrument track, then press record and play something on your keyboard, does the clip disappear when you press stop?

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 pm 

Yes, it disappears, I believe thats because it can't record anything from my MIDI keyboard. But recording works ok if its from my microphone on my webcam.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 pm 

Hi,

Can you pick up MIDI from your keyboard in any other programs right now?

If you're using a USB hub, try plugging directly into your computer instead of going through the hub. You can also try plugging into a different USB port.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm 

I tried fruity loops and it appears that it also picks up my MIDI keyboard but like Mixcraft, not the keys I press. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm 

Hi,

Did you try a different USB port? You could also try a different USB cable.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am 

I agree with Greg.

When I bought my Presonus Audiobox USB interface, it came with Studio One Daw. I hooked everything up and installed Studio One. Everything worked fine.. all the audio, playing back existing MIDI file except. When I played keys on my keyboard, I got no sound. Meanwhile, everything worked perfectly with Mixcraft. After a few calls to Presonus and downloading latest drivers, the solution was not to hook up the interface through a powered hub. GO FIGURE... Once I plugged it directly into one of the USB ports on the computer ALL was well...

Good Luck
Pierre