It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 am 

Any tips/effects for warming up an acoustic guitar? Mine sounds like an electric.
Thx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 am 

Hi!

Have a look at Eric's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2l1iu_ ... A&index=10

Also experiment with mic type and placement. I normally use a combination of large and small diaphragm condensers, but a single Shure SM 57 will also give good results. I also go through a mixer and can tweak the upper, mid and lower frequencies before it reaches the DAW. You can do the same on Mixcrafts mixer before you hit record.

Micking the sound hole rarely gives a decent sound, in my experience. Try aiming a mic near the body/neck joint or in the vicinity of the 12th fret; or the lower body of the guitar (where tone controls would normally go on an electric.)

Experimentation is key! :D

Hope this helps!

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 am 

I saw that video about 2 years ago. Thx

My Washburn acoustic has been fitted with 3 transducers and the music already recorded. Looking for warmth via software settings. I've been out of the loop for a while (no pun intended).
Thx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 am 

Zoob, Ive never been real pleased with the tones of acoustic electric piezo transducers for recording, they just never sound quite as sweet as a miced acoustic. If you think about it they actually work best for sound reinforcement with an amp in a setting where you can hear a blend of natural guitar and some amplified guitar.
I have a Dean Markley sound hole pickup that is an improvement, but for recorded sounds I still prefer a miced sound personally.

That said, and working with what you have, have you experimented with the Pultronic tube EQ presets? Try them all, but I kind of like the effect of "sweet 60's" for a kind of acoustic guitar backup track shimmer effect. It seems to both add brightness and warmth. Also if you have MC6 you might find the effect chain presets to have some interesting results.

Its hard to say more without a better idea of what sound you have and what you are going for.

Hope that helped,
Mafrk

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

I would recommend starting with the Pultronic Tube EQ. Try some of the presets, specifically "Classic warm tube," "Warm 12AX7 Tubes," or even "Piano - Warm," which can be a very effective preset for warming very bright guitar.

The Pultronic is Mixcraft's "secret weapon" when it comes to tone, and I think if you play with it a bit you'll find it can make a huge difference in the tone of your guitar.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm 

mbliss wrote:
Hope that helped,
Mafrk

Mark, you've smelt your same wong :lol:

But seriously, I'd go with a "tube" effect with maybe some EQ too. Difference between a natural acoustic and an electric has to be the more "mellow" tone - thanks to the bigger, hollow body. Try pushing the lower mids and pull upper mids/lower highs a bit.

What I'd really do though, is just re-record it with a reasonable mic - you can't get a silk purse from a pigs ear...

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:04 am 

Ha, thats what I get for typing with one hand and eating with the other!

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!