It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: float audio format
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 am 

Hi,

where can I change the audio format for wave recording? (16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit float)?

In the export dialog there seems to be not way to set the audio format to 32 bit float.

I would prefer to do all recording, exporting as 32 bit float, because in this format even overs will never damage your audio data.

Best regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: float audio format
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 am 

You can change the sampling and bit rate of your mixdown after clicking on Mix Down To...
Just click on the Edit Details... button.
Attachment:
MixDownDetails.png
MixDownDetails.png [ 36.41 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]

By the way, the sample rate of 16 or 24 bit is different than the bit referred to in 32-bit floating point. Mixcraft uses 32-bit floating point for ALL the mixdown calculations, regardless of the sample rate.

For best audio just make sure you are mixing down to 24-bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 am 

Vibrant Audio wrote:
You can change the sampling and bit rate of your mixdown after clicking on Mix Down To...
Just click on the Edit Details... button.
I'm aware of that, but there is no setting for 32 bit float

Vibrant Audio wrote:
By the way, the sample rate of 16 or 24 bit is different than the bit referred to in 32-bit floating point. Mixcraft uses 32-bit floating point for ALL the mixdown calculations, regardless of the sample rate.
The sample rate has absolutely nothing to do with the sample format.

Vibrant Audio wrote:

This is not true, the float format is capable to save even overs without clipping, if you use an integer format like 16 or 24 bits any over will be clipped and the information is lost. In other words, if there are overs in your file that is saved as float, you can reload it decrease the volume and save it again. If it's saved as integer the audio is corrupted and you have to mix, record it again.

Regards

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 am 

Hi,

As Vibrant Audio mentioned, 32-bit floating point calculations are always used for audio in Mixcraft. There's no option to turn that on or off.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:44 pm 

frank_li wrote:
I'm aware of that, but there is no setting for 32 bit float

Just covering the bases. I never know what someone has tried unless they specifically state it in the post.

frank_li wrote:
The sample rate has absolutely nothing to do with the sample format.

Thank you for catching that - of course, I meant the sampling bit depth. My bad.

frank_li wrote:
Vibrant Audio wrote:

This is not true, the float format is capable to save even overs without clipping, if you use an integer format like 16 or 24 bits any over will be clipped and the information is lost. In other words, if there are overs in your file that is saved as float, you can reload it decrease the volume and save it again. If it's saved as integer the audio is corrupted and you have to mix, record it again.

I am speaking of mixing down in Mixcraft, which only supports a bit depth of up to 24 bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:38 am 

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Hi,

As Vibrant Audio mentioned, 32-bit floating point calculations are always used for audio in Mixcraft. There's no option to turn that on or off.

Greg
This is not what I mean, I would like to be able to record and save in 32 bit IEEE float format.

Regards

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:52 am 

Hi,

Is your audio recorded in that format? If not, what format is your audio recorded in?

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 am 

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Hi,

Is your audio recorded in that format? If not, what format is your audio recorded in?

Greg
With MixCraft 6 audio is recorded as 32 bit integer and mixed down as 24 bit integer.
It would be great if one could do booth in IEEE Float (0,24 Float Typ 3) as well.

Main reason is that any overs can not make the whole recording or mix-down unusable if samples are floats.

Best regards

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 pm 

Hi,

Okay, thank you for your suggestion! I've logged it as a feature request so the software developers can review it when they are looking to add new features again.

For product update news, click "Like" on Mixcraft's Facebook page or sign up for the Acoustica Newsletter.

Greg