It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 am 

:D Has anyone know of or has used a lightweight pop-up type database where I could record details of projects and VST instruments and FX etc.

The ideal is I have a referance for a synth that will provide say, details of an instrument i.e. tubular bells or a DX7II or a type of compression for use in a project then a cross reference to that project of what VST's I used in it.

There are a mass of items that make up a song/project and I don't want to end up overheating my brain on trying to remember that elusive sound I created six months ago on a particular failed ditty that might be good on my new project?

I know it sounds like a bit of control freakery but having spent a few fruitless hours trying to find just the above I wonder if I can automate the whole process. I suppose it would be too much to hope I could attach a sample of the sound to it, but I'll just cut my losses with a name in the meantime.

Thanks.

Jagd1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:42 am 

The only function I've discovered so far is under the View menu option > Project Details. There's a button (at least there is in Mixcraft Pro Studio 6) named "Author Info...". Click this and a dialog appears where you can add comments on your project.

Unfortunately, if you add more info than the text window holds, no scroll bar appears to allow you to scroll. Unlike pricier tools, there doesn't appear to be a project "notes" option. A new feature request perhaps.

Grass Fed Band

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 am 

Thanks for that "grassfedband"

That does sound like a spiffing idea. I would see it not as an austere "debug" file but more like a tracking file that notes a specific number of details on a project. For example at 3min 26sec such and such a synth used for "x" period on a track with "x" preset or "y" sound or loop etc. Such a file would help to create tracking whilst building multiple versions of the same song.

It would automate the creation of projects when looking for the definitive combination of a song prior to mixdown or allow you to identify say a riff you liked to extract to place into another projrct at a later date. I know it hardly sounds like nostalgic creative art, but lets face it, if that was the goal we would not be using computers to create music in the first place.

Plainly it's worth a thought and if it were to be intergrated into Mixcraft rather than a 3rd party option would be pretty seamless. I know of people out there creating tunes for mobiles that could greatly benefit considering the huge expansion in smart phone capabilities. It might also help in establishing copyright if you can show a coherent track from idea to final product to prove that you slaved 18 months over something that was plagurised in seconds.

jagd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 am 

Is http://stash.reaper.fm/v/4836/TrackNotepad.zip any good?

I've used it in the past. Not sure if the timestamping works outside of Reaper