It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Errors in drum loops
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am 

hi there, i am using the 60's protest rock drum loops as i have found they best suit my style when it comes to recording my original songs. as a rock/pop songwriter from the old school, i wish mixcraft could be as generous with these type of drum loops as they are with all the hundreds and hundreds of dance/techno/club loops they have included. but i guess that topic is for a different conversation.
i can more or less make do with the 24 60's protest rock drum loops that are offered. however, i am now getting a little frustrated as some of these loops have errors in them, specifically click-type and squeak sounds. for eg, there's a click at the very end of "drum fill 2". others, like "drumbeat 10" and "drumbeat 11" have squeaks (barely noticeable but there nonetheless). there are also others that have similar faults.
so, is it possible to get the authors (in this case, sfxsource.com) to re-submit these loops after they fix them? or somehow fix them another way?
like most of us i am really serious about sound quality and don't want to try and time-stretch the mistakes out etc as that affects the quality and timing of the loop. i just think they should be perfect in the first place.
thanks so much for any feedback you may have.
cheers, david.

Post subject: Re: Errors in drum loops
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 am 

Quote:
i wish mixcraft could be as generous with these type of drum loops as they are with all the hundreds and hundreds of dance/techno/club loops they have included.

Agreed, but the aftermarket has many inexpensive options for these styles.

Quote:
there's a click at the very end of "drum fill 2". others, like "drumbeat 10" and "drumbeat 11" have squeaks (barely noticeable but there nonetheless). there are also others that have similar faults.
so, is it possible to get the authors (in this case, sfxsource.com) to re-submit these loops after they fix them? or somehow fix them another way?

I have found many loops from all kinds of sources that have these "artifacts." Listening for them and cleaning up the loops has become standard practice anytime I am using a looped source, just as I would with a recorded source, looking for background noises, clicks, coughs, who knows what. Even with "studio quality" recordings.
With loops its more often than not simply a matter of editing the tail of the loop to clean it up. Often a momentary level drop or editing off the last moment of the clip does the trick. No need for time stretching or anything "fancy."

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am 

thanks for your input. i have tried cleaning up such faults but i cannot seem to do it in a way that is great. if i try and chop off the very end part where the mistake is, i just get an empty half-second hole where a drum sound should be. do you know if mixcraft have any specific video tutorials on how to do such a clean-up? and do you by any chance have any ideas for affordable (under $40) drum loops that cater to my style that ideally include not just drumbeats and fills, but drum start and ending loops)? again, i am after organic, real-sounding drum sounds used in rock/pop, just like the beatles, r.e.m. or wilco for example. thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 pm 

I like Loopmasters. This pack sounds pretty good: Big Rock Drums

Like this one too: Session Drums

Signup for a free account and you can download tons of freebie samples! 8)

PS: Have you tried using Acoustica Studio Drums?

SoundClound
Mixcraft Live
YouTube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 pm 

great, thanks sam, i'll take a look at those sites soon. i haven't spent much time building my own drum tracks. the studio drums from acoustica look great, but as i'm not a drummer i don't know if i have the skill or patience building everything from scratch. and then when i heard the drum loops i thought that they sounded very professional and i again questioned whether i could build them that good (short of spending many many hours practicing first).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 pm 

No shame in using loops. I use loops all the time and I agree with you that the results can be inspiring.

I am definitely not a drummer but having studied music for over six years initially has given me a sense of rhythm. Acoustica Studio Drums has some very neat features and has become fairly easy for me to program in some beats using the piano roll and midi. I have even combined the various kits to get a certain sound. I like the Heavy Metal kick drum combined with the hats and snare from the dance kit...works great for dubstep! The control this offers has helped me break the limitations in designing the exact sounds and beats that I want.

Wilco? Cool! 8)

SoundClound
Mixcraft Live
YouTube

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:53 pm 

oh yes, i love wilco, even tho i am from down under ... that alt american country rock/pop stuff is great :)