It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 am 

Is there a good place to go to CREATE a drum roll through virtual instruments? I prefer not to use a loop. I use a midi keyboard to get sounds in.

Thanks

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 pm 

Acoustica Studio Drums and the piano roll. Some of the drum kits will have two of the same drum that sound just a bit different. I use these to create tom rolls incorporating the stick bounce technique. Two hits on lo tom A and two hits on low tom B for instance. Snap to 32nd notes and draw in the drum hits then copy paste repeat.

Check out this vid for a much better explanation:
Mixcraft 6 Mini-Tip: Using Acoustica Studio Drums

SoundClound
Mixcraft Live
YouTube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 am 

SoundSquire wrote:
Acoustica Studio Drums and the piano roll. Some of the drum kits will have two of the same drum that sound just a bit different. I use these to create tom rolls incorporating the stick bounce technique. Two hits on lo tom A and two hits on low tom B for instance. Snap to 32nd notes and draw in the drum hits then copy paste repeat.

Mixcraft 6 Mini-Tip: Using Acoustica Studio Drums

Jeez man, where were you when we were never endingly seeking a drummer years ago? You sound great on there. I am now confused between using an electronic kit (which I already own) or just using the Keyboards like you have done. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am 

That's Chris Collins in that video. He is good! 8)

SoundClound
Mixcraft Live
YouTube

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:17 pm 

I have used mixcraft to make flams for several of the free acoustic drumkit samples found at the bedroom producers' blog. Flams are great, but they aren't drumrolls. I think you could probably find the right sample with the snare rattling the right way and make a roll out of that.

I'm using the shortcircuit sampler.

To make the flams in mixcraft: load your samples into adjacent audio tracks. Line them up so it sounds like a nice flam. The first hit, I gather, should be a quieter hit, a grace note, but maybe doesn't matter. When you have the timing right, put the second hit on top of the first hit in the first hit's track. Highlight both audio files in the track. Click merge. You'll have a new single audio file in the track now. Then you have to go to the file where mixcraft saves your recordings. This is documents/myrecordings for me (check your preferences to see where yours are). Organize the recordings folder by date modified and click on the recent merge track. Copy. Save it in the folder with the other samples for your drum kit. Add to the sampler. And so forth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 pm 

I use the notation feature to create drum rolls. Just decide how many strikes of the drum you want in a bar and fit them in using 1/16, 1/32, or 1/64 intervals. It's far more visual friendly than the piano-roll.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 am 

[quote="SoundSquire"]Acoustica Studio Drums and the piano roll. Some of the drum kits will have two of the same drum that sound just a bit different. I use these to create tom rolls incorporating the stick bounce technique. Two hits on lo tom A and two hits on low tom B for instance. Snap to 32nd notes and draw in the drum hits then copy paste repeat.

[b][url=http://youtu.be/IIr8JFCI6zU]Mixcraft 6 Mini-Tip: Using Acoustica Studio Drums[/url][/b][/quote]

lol. I wonder how well that'll work w/ my el cheapo casio. :lol: