It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 pm 

maybe someone can help.

I'm in a basement band and recently we've hooked up a TASCAM M164-UF as a mixer to front end a PA system (Fender Passport) as well as use it to drive channels into CUBASE LE 4 on a Windows Laptop.

after much work, proper cabling, gain setting, etc. we finally have the mixer set up where we have very good control through the PA system and we've all but eliminated hisses, pops, feedback, rumble, etc. and are very happy.

we do have a problem in trying to record however... here is our set up:

channels 1-4: MICs 1-4 via XLR
channel 5: Electric Guitar via balanced 1/4" cable
channel 6: Accoustic Guitar via balanced 1/4" cable (it's pre-amped)

channel 7: Bass Guitar via balanced 1/4" cable (using an amp-simulator)
channel 8: Drums coming from separate mixer that the drum MICS are feeding into

when we record we get GREAT sound from channels 1-6 and almost nothing, basically NOTHING from channels 7 and up...

what gives????

any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm 

Hi,

If you switch what you've got plugged into channels 6 and 7, is the sound still too low on the bass?

In other words, try to narrow down the problem. Is the problem related to what you've got plugged into the M-164UF, or is it related to the channels above 6?

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm 

Greg,

thanks - we have tried my acoustic in channel 7 - with the same results - no sound.

Plug it into channel 6 - and joila -great sound.

the only difference we can see is that on the TASCAM M-164UF channels 1-6 have a GAIN and the others don't.

that being said, we have set all c hannel inputs, even the ones without gain but with preamps so we are at Unity Gain - meaning the signal coming in to the Tascam is equal across all channels and that is verified by the sound as it's routed to the PA system, we don't need to boost or take away from any channel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm 

Hi Steve,
I believe only channels 1-6 of that Tascam unit provide balanced XLR mic inputs with pre-amps. If so, 7 and up have no pre-amps so you likely need to be using them as line level inputs.
You said you are inputing the bass via an amp sim, what you might need is an active direct box to bring that signal up to line level.
Using a sub mixer for the drums should provide the mic pre's, and connecting the line out of the sub mixer to line in on channel 8 of the Tascam should work.
Recheck your configuration for proper input signal levels for those channels above 6.
Hope that helps!
Mark

Edit: OK I just re-read your post and realized that you said it works through the PA but not as an interface for recording, so I might be off base. But I bet its still got something to do with the fact that channels 1-6 are the only ones with pre's.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!