It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The jBridge Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am 

NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING MIXCRAFT 7 THIS INFORMATION IS OBSOLETE :D

JBridge is a bit wrapper which enables you to run 64 bit VSTs in a 32 bit host, 32 bit VSTs in a 64 bit host, and 32 bit VSTs in a 32 bit host, breaking the 4GB RAM barrier. Each VST is run as another process outside the host in Windows so uses it's own RAM. Since each VST runs in its own process, if a VST crashes it doesn't take the rest of your project with it.

Why would you want to use it in Mixcraft?

1. There is a VST you want to use which only exists in 64 bits

2. You are running out of RAM with the 4 GB Mixcraft allows as a 32 bit host.

3. You use a lot of badly-written freebie VSTs that crash & burn your project.

4. (Future Application) After Mixcraft goes 64 bit, you will still be able to use your 32 bit VSTs in it.

Installing jBridge:

Installation directions are on this page:http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/jbridge-troubleshooting/782-2/

Follow them religiously, setting the listed programs and Mixcraft to be 'run as administrator' and turning off UAC.

Using jBridge:

1. Again read & follow the instructions.

2. Keep your VSTs to be wrapped in a separate folder from the rest of your VSTs, copying them from their original locations.

3. EDIT: It now seems to be necessary to remove the 32 bit version of the VST so Mixcraft can only see the wrapped version as even a renaming either produces a conflict. See EDIT 1 below.

4. It is best to set the .32 and .64 extensions to be off when asked by jBridge. Mixcraft didn't seem to recognize the wrapped VST with that extension AND when I removed it manually Mixcraft went into a cascade, dancing with 100's of instances of auxhost until I shut the computer down.

5. Make sure Mixcraft can see the folder where you had the wrapped VSTs installed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now the wrapped version of Kontakt is up & running in Mixcraft. I so far have loaded 6 tracks and all is running fine. Kontakt takes a little longer to load this way but that is the only difference performance wise I have noticed so far.

In Task Master, Mixcraft and it's 6 Kontakt tracks (listed in TM as Auxhost) use memory like this so far:

Mixcraft: 48229K
Auxhost: 72324K
Auxhost: 123896K
Auxhost: 162448K
Auxhost: 123248K
Auxhost: 171796K
Auxhost: 142628K

I'll gradually keep adding tracks until something happens :mrgreen:

If you are interested in using jBridge and pretty much understand what I have posted in this thread, you can get jBridge here: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

It is in Euros, but works out to <> CAN$20.

EDIT 1:
OK I've added some more tracks and moved in & out of Mixcraft and rebooted a couple of times. Very occasionally the instrument disappears from one of the tracks with accompanying error messages about Mixcraft not being able to find the instrument and a dialog to sent data to j. So far the fix has been to isolate the old 32 bit Kontakt VST so Mixcraft can't see it. Then no problems AND Mixcraft automatically replaces Kontakt 5 32 bit VSTs with Kontakt 5 64 bit VSTs in existing projects. :D

At 20 tracks of Kontakt, Task Manager reads 7.18GB of RAM used for both Windows and Mixcraft/Kontakt. Occasionally there still is a loading problem for the wrapped VST but restarting Mixcraft has solved it so far. Only once I had to restart the computer to recover the instrument. I want to get to at least 10GB of RAM use for a proper test.

At 45 tracks of Kontakt I reached 10.2 GB usage with Mixcraft still using its 48229K, all the rest being used by bridged VSTs. For those interested, the 3930K peaked at 20%. At times there is still a failure to load instruments, but after mucking around with it, it seems always to happen after lots of edits & saves in Mixcraft and is almost always cured by restarting Mixcraft or, failing that, restarting the computer. IMO this is a minor issue since there is an easy work-around. This behavior has also been echoed several times in the EWQL forums, but IMO is a jBridge issue, not an issue with the DAWs or VST engines.

EDIT 2:
The test project is over 50 tracks now. Since enabling "use existing auxhost" the RAM usage has dropped but with a few other wrinkles. I've added some unwrapped VSTs inside Mixcraft and a couple multi-channel instances of Kontakt, All running well, EXCEPT when I try to change an instrument in the single instances of wrapped Kontakt, I am unable and Mixcraft crashes. What I found works is to load a different VST then reload Kontakt and the new instrument and all is fine.

To sum up: It works but not perfectly and definitely not for beginners. I intend to keep using it though as the issues are minor.

Idiosyncrasies:

1.[Edited] Tracks containing wrapped versions of Kontakt may appear to lose one or more instruments upon reload. DON'T PANIC. THEY ARE STILL THERE. If this happens:

I exchanged emails with J on this and he suggested enabling "use existing auxhost" in the jBridge banner below the Kontakt GUI, pressing the 'settings' button. This is done on a per plugin basis. It creates one big auxhost rather than a small one for each instance of Kontakt. There has not been one load failure since I enabled this. If this doesn't work:
a. Immediately quit the project as soon as loading is finished. DO NOT EDIT OR SAVE ANYTHING.
b. Restart Mixcraft. If problem is not fixed......
c. Restart Computer.

2. Duplicate track command doesn't work consistently when trying to duplicate tracks using (wrapped) Kontakt.

3. To change instruments in a single instance of wrapped Kontakt you must first replace Kontakt with any other VST then reload Kontakt with the new instrument. This behavior does not occur in a multi-channel instrument, only single instances of Kontakt.

4. As of Kontakt 5.3 you must close all open instances of the Kontakt UI before exiting Mixcraft or the project will not load the next time.

My next acquisition is EWQL CCC. I intend to use wrapped 64 bit Play and will run the same test & post results on this thread.

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere
My Stuff: Mixcraft Live, Soundcloud

Last edited by chibear on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The jBridge Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 pm 

Nice information. Tagging this for future reference. Thanks man! 8)

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:23 pm 

Very helpful! Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 am 

Very good work
Thanks I will take care.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:47 pm 

So I have begun the same routine with EWQL play, so far using samples from EWQLSO Platinum, Voices of passion, Goliath, Storm Drum.

To maximize memory use I have turned off "Stream from disk" on all the samples so all samples are loaded into RAM. Furthermore I have used the Master Keyswitches wherever they are available and have loaded 2 mic positions in EWQLSO. So far with 11 tracks of bridged Play I am using <> 15 GB of RAM for Mixcraft and the various incarnations of wrapped play. Mixcraft is taking up 64856k and the rest is eaten by the various auxhosts provided by jBridge. At this point no problems whatsoever.

I also included, edited and copied a multi-timbral instance and multi-channel instance without problems.

At 13 tracks Task Manager said I'm using 35 GB of RAM without incident (CPU is in the 6-7% range). I'll call this part of the test a success other than it takes forever to load a project since everything is going into RAM.

Edit: Ran the same project with Play 4.0.23. Results: 34.9 GB of RAM used. CPU use Max: 3%.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the second part I'll run MANY tracks of Play (like a normal person with disk streaming on) to see how Mixcraft handles the multiple auxhost that are produced.

At 25 tracks (Task Manager = <> 7 gb used by Mixcraft +25 auxhosts) I have had no issues at all with copying, changing instruments, or loading the project. At this point Play is a lot better behaved wrapped than Kontakt was. I have tried to use as many of the EWQL libraries as I can manage. All SO Platinum tracks are using 3 mics and I have used quite a few tracks of Symphonic Choirs to maximize RAM use.

Edit 1: At 35 tracks Task Manager reads <> 15GB with nothing to report.

Edit 2: At 45 tracks Task Manager reads 18.4 GB CPU peaks at 10%. Load time is almost 5 min :lol: Otherwise nothing to report as far as idiosyncrasies.

Edit 3: At 55 tracks Task Manager reads 20.7 GB with the 3930k peaking at 25%. No issues. My orchestrations tend to be thick but I cannot conceive of a project this large OR using the number if mics I did. I'll call this test an entire success and can confidently be using wrapped Play in my projects.

EDIT 3a: Ran the same test with Play 4.0.23 Results 22GB RAM used, CPU: 40%

Edit 4: After about a month of constant use and abuse, I have had 3 instances of tracks not loading their instruments properly, fixed by quitting (without saving) Mixcraft and restarting it and reloding the project. Once Symphonic Choirs crashed(only the wrapped VST not the project), but changing the instrument and changing back to Play Symphonic Choirs seems to have fixed that (I also have moved Choirs to a SSD).

A few final thoughts:
1. The CPU % at the bottom of Mixcraft has to be read differently when using jBridge as the 'Mixcraft' readout only gives you the CPU used by the Mixcraft program and the various auxhosts are included in the 'system' readout.

2. When projects this large are shutting down, Windows states that Mixcraft is not responding where in fact it is shutting down all the auxhosts.

3. I have some samples missing from a couple of my libraries. This brings an error dialog up. It is most important that you do nothing else as a large project loads (like email or browsing) otherwise you lose the dialog underneath and Mixcraft appears to have frozen.

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere

Last edited by chibear on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:10 am 

Great info.

One question, are you creating a Play host per instrument i.e. opening say 32 instances of play for 32 instruments, or are you opening 2 instances of Play for 32 instruments?

I have run 24 instances of Play (one per instrument running in Midi Omni) with a CPU usage of around 25-30% and no errors.

Elka Synthex Mk2, Korg Oasys 76, Oberheim OB8, Open Labs Neko LX61, DSI Poly Evolver & Rack, Kurzweil PC3K8, Moog Taurus I & III, Roland Super JX-10, Integra-7, V-Synth, JD-800, Varios, Novation Supernova II, Mackie D8B & HDR-24.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:35 am 

Hi Louis,

I used both in the test. Most of the tracks were single instances of Play. I also ran a few multi-timbrals and a few multi channel. The most instruments I put into a multi was 5. I also duplicated and edited the instruments in all the multi tracks as well as some of the singles just to make sure after my experinces with Kontakt noted above.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:38 am 

could please anybody tell me what is meant by "Keep your VSTs to be wrapped in a separate folder from the rest of your VSTs, copying them from their original locations."?

It means I cannot choose whole Program Files in step 6 here? http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/jbr ... ing/782-2/

If it is so - how will mixcraft act when I open older project with tracks already created in some synthetizers which I want to bridge now? I think OR it won't be able to find a way to them OR it won't be using "new" copied vsts. Am I right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm 

You might want to contact J just to verify, but I had that experience with Kontakt and jBridge or Mixcraft just substituted the bridged VST in existing projects. You also might want to contact clavguy on this forum. I believe he recently went from 32 bit EWQL Play to bridged 64 bit Play. Might ask him if there were any issues in any of his projects..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:57 am 

Do I have to wrap all the vst or just dll files?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:04 am 

one more question - when I restarted my PC do I need to do something or only start Mixcraft and work?
Will it be still bridged and working after restart?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:43 pm 

Quote:

We discussed this in a Mixcraft thread and the consensus was that you should reinstall the VST with the DLL in the 'to wrap' folder as some VSTs like Sample Tank and Miroslav also have configuration files attached that must be pointed to by the wrapped file. clavguy wrapped Miroslav Philharmonik which I know does need a configuration file. Maybe contact him and see if there were any issues in that installation.
Quote:
one more question - when I restarted my PC do I need to do something or only start Mixcraft and work?

You have to point Mixcraft to the folder containing your wrapped VST. Other than that as long as jBridge is on your computer there is nothing else to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:01 pm 

chibear wrote:
Quote:

We discussed this in a Mixcraft thread and the consensus was that you should reinstall the VST with the DLL in the 'to wrap' folder as some VSTs like Sample Tank and Miroslav also have configuration files attached that must be pointed to by the wrapped file. clavguy wrapped Miroslav Philharmonik which I know does need a configuration file. Maybe contact him and see if there were any issues in that installation.
Quote:

You have to point Mixcraft to the folder containing your wrapped VST. Other than that as long as jBridge is on your computer there is nothing else to do.

thanks for the reply - so I do not have to do that stuff I did after the instalation each time I restart my computer. I hope mixcraft also remebers the folder I added in VST folders.

But I do not like the first part of yur reply. So you say I have to uninstall all VST and then install them again to the folder (the one where I was now just COPYING them).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:14 pm 

Quote:
But I do not like the first part of yur reply. So you say I have to uninstall all VST and then install them again to the folder (the one where I was now just COPYING them).

First of all you don't need to uninstall all your VSTs, only those you want to wrap and you don't 'have' to but that is the safest route because of the reasons stated. For many VSTs you can just move the .dll's but for some there is a configuration file that also needs to be moved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:06 am 

I'm getting the following message when I select Play as my Instrument Preset:
Warning! Your main VST host (Acoustica Sound Engine) is not running with administrator privileges - jBridge may not work properly. To solve this, locate its shortcut, right-click it, choose "Properties", and in the "Compatibility" tab enable the "Run the program as an administrator" option.
However, when I run Mixcraft as an administrator, the Play engine disappears from my VSTi list. If I do not choose to run Mixcraft as an administrator, I do see the jBridged Play engine in my VSTi list followed by the above message. I then select [ok] to that message which then takes me to another message asking if I want to authorize auxhost64.exe to make changes to my computer. I say [ok] and the instrument preset menu pops up. I then cannot figure out how to select sounds/open the Play engine. Usually, I would select [Edit] in the instrument selection screen (next to preset), however nothing pops up, it just says: "No Presets Available." And when I open the "Load VSTi preset file" window it does not find the jBridge Play engine cause it's looking for a .fxb file. I'm stuck and not sure what the main issue is. Any ideas?