It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird midi problem
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:57 pm 

Sometimes when I record a monophonic midi track, like a bass or synth melody track, I end up with other notes in the clip, roughly forming chords. It would appear that something is bleeding in from another track or more. I've changed midi input settings (to the armed track) but that hasn't worked.

Then I've tried to replicate the problem with a new song, both recording polyphonic midi tracks and bringing them in from Band in a Box. But when I record a monophonic track in these cases, I don't have the problem. So I can't figure out what's causing it. But I'm suspecting BIAB has something to do with it.

This problem has occurred on a number of songs I'm working on, usually after I'm well into constructing the song (i.e., multiple tracks). Any ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Mel

Post subject: Re: Weird midi problem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm 

Hi,

How are you recording the MIDI? What virtual instrument are you using? Do you have Mixcraft 6.1 build 204?

Greg

Post subject: Re: Weird midi problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 pm 

I'm traveling so I can't verify what build I have, but I seem to recall updating it within the last 3-4 months. I tried different plugins--Kontakt, Dimension Pro, Alchemy--plus an Acoustica instrument. I had the same problem with all of them.

Maybe I need to try muting midi tracks and see if that helps. I've noticed that importing BIAB-created midi tracks in Mixcraft is not as smooth as into Sonar (e.g., when I import a single track, Mixcraft shows blank clips for each of the tracks muted in BIAB, which is odd since as far as I can tell, BIAB only renders the single midi track).

But as I noted, this only seems to become a problem after I've added several midi tracks, either be playing them in or importing them from BIAB or Stylus RMX. I can't duplicate the problem by importing the usual 5-track mix from BIAB. And it doesn't seem to be a Stylus problem because it happens on songs with no Stylus tracks (plus there's an obvious melodic character to the unwanted notes).

Sounds like you've not encountered this before...

Mel