It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:27 pm 

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/promos/?item_id=2137

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere
My Stuff: Mixcraft Live, Soundcloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 am 

Just picked up MP from them for 60 bucks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am 

Thinking hard about the Sampletank deal to replace/substitute for Kontakt.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm 

Keep in mind that Sampletank will only work on 32 bit systems for the time being. And it it a bit CPU hungry.
But you can't beat the price

Regards
Pierre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:34 pm 

I'd suggest maybe consider it as an adjunct to rather than a replacement for. ST at <>$60 is an incredible buy but its samples are pretty much limited to what is there. If you already have Kontakt then there is an enormous number of 3rd part titles available for it and a LOT of freebies.

From my experience, Multi-channel is much easier in ST, but once you learn how Kontakt works it is fine. There is just an extra step there. Multi-timbral is pretty much the same in both. The ST UI allows you to see a greater number of instruments per page in multis than Kontakt.

Edit: just saw Pierre's post. ST can be bridged into a 64 bit host with jBridge (my latest adventure :lol: ). Apparently you need to turn off UAC for it to work. However IK has announced its intent to release 64 bit versions of all its stuff, so either way when Mixcraft goes 64 bit you won't have to dump your ST.

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere
My Stuff: Mixcraft Live, Soundcloud

Last edited by chibear on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:44 pm 

I think IK said that ST 3 would be 64 bit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 am 

Yeah, I was told that ST3 was going to be a BIG upgrade.

Quote:
I'd suggest maybe consider it as an adjunct to rather than a replacement for. ST at <>$60 is an incredible buy but its samples are pretty much limited to what is there. If you already have Kontakt then there is an enormous number of 3rd part titles available for it and a LOT of freebies.

I hear you, and appreciate the tip/suggestion.
I am at the point of throwing in the towel on Kontakt. Yeah, great sounds are available. Yes I got it working fine in Mixcraft.

I am not normally inclined to rant/vent on a company openly on the internet, but...... exceptions are made. People will be blamed.

As I have said before, I am not a synth guy, nor am I a keyboard player. My primary goal in attempting to use the Kontakt sampler was to create decent bass guitar and drum tracks, (I HATE anything that even resembles that computer music/drum machine sound of the 80's) and maybe load some of my own samples and "one hits" for playing via my midi keyboard and see where that took me.
I tried the Kontakt player, purchased some Abbey roads drums and P bass instruments, and found even the player edition to be just overwhelmingly difficult to use. Just kills all creativity. Hate the thing.

I purchased and took a course on Kontakt that was very good. What I learned was that all the features to do what I wanted were essentially locked out of the player edition, thus requiring the full blown Kontakt player, which is rather pricy for my simple needs, and even more bloated and over complicated.

Then theres the issue of my multiple experiences with NI's "customer service"........
As a whole I would simply say that I am not inclined to ever spend money with a company so severely and arrogantly disfunctional. Even if their product is the best sounding, most desireable, perfectly useful solution on earth.

So, I am looking into other options. Drums? I have found many great solutions, dollar for dollar, EZ-Drummer winning hands down on the basic/economy choice. Programs with more depth are available but it will work for me for now.

So I am still looking for some bass guitar sound capability, and I desire the ability to have a range from some upright bass to rock bass guitar and some range between.
So, I am looking at Sampletank as a possible solution, in addition to its other basic librarys, expansion sets, etc, looks like a possibility.

As usual I think I got carried away on my explanation...... 8)

Stay in tune,
Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 am 

Mark
Have you looked in to the Ministry of Rock by EWQL... Sweetwater has them on sale right now

Regards
Pierre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm 

clavguy wrote:
Keep in mind that Sampletank will only work on 32 bit systems for the time being. And it it a bit CPU hungry.

Regards
Pierre

Huh that is not true

Work without any issue on my Win7 64Bits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm 

Raidx wrote:
clavguy wrote:

Regards
Pierre

Huh that is not true

Work without any issue on my Win7 64Bits

I think you are confusing 32/64 bit operating systems with 32/64 bit software.

32 bit software will happily run on 64 bit operating systems (for example Mixcraft which is a 32 bit program will happily run on windows 7 64 bit). However a 64 bit only vst will only run on a 64 bit piece of software. You can run 32 bit vst's on 64 bit software (via bridging software).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm 

Exactly what I meant. It runs fine in Mixcraft on my Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm 

Just for clarification for future readers of this thread:

Mixcraft 6 is currently a 32-bit program. It should run just fine on any 32-bit or 64-bit Windows operating system.

And any 32-bit vst should run fine on Mixcraft 6, regardless of whether the Windows system is 32-bit or 64-bit.

However, a 64-bit vst WILL NOT work in Mixcraft 6 on any system, UNLESS you use a bit wrapper like jBridge, which chibear is graciously documenting in this thread.

Last edited by Vibrant Audio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 am 

Quote:
Mark
Have you looked in to the Ministry of Rock by EWQL... Sweetwater has them on sale right now

Regards
Pierre

Thanks for the suggestion Pierre,
While I had seen that, I hadnt really taken an in depth look at it.
It looks like a bit more than I was really seeking, but some great options there. I would sure like to find more samples and/or demos than I am finding though.
Either way, thanks again, it has made it on my wish list/for further consideration any way!

Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:11 pm 

I thought that since we are on Mixcraft forum (which is a 32bits app) he was talking about the OS

My bad