It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 am 

I have a laptop with Win 7 64 bit operating system. It has an Intel I7 Quad core processor, 16 MB of Ram and a Solid sate Drive (SSD). I have the Mixcraft 6 Pro DAW and an external M-Audio C600 audio interface. I have been experimenting with the audio interface setup and found something interesting. When you add the M-Audio device in Windows and enable it in Control Panel, Sound and Hardware, it becomes a device used by the Windows Operating system. Even if you want this device to be used ONLY by your DAW and not used for processing other Windows sounds it still “takes control of the device”. This “extra” usage is not intended it’s just part of how Windows grabs devices and allocates them. What I did was to disable the device in Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, so it is not recognized by Windows. Then out of curiosity, I launched Mixcraft went to preferences and told Mixcraft to use my M-Audio device as its input/output device with the ASIO setting checked. IT WORKED! I now have total control over my audio device through Mixcraft with no other overhead attributed to Windows. I have been able to record at 96,000 32 bit with no issues, as well as many other standard settings. Leaving the setting to ASIO in the preferences tab of Mixcraft, you can launch the M-Audio mixer. Go to its setup and select your frequency and buffer size and these are what’s used by Mixcraft when recording. The Wave and Wave RT functions no longer are available because you didn’t setup the device in Windows, but the M-Audio ASIO is much better than windows drivers anyway. Thoughts?

:?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:01 am 

Very cool!

Seems like you found the best way all around for your gear - you've "hidden" the device from Windows AND you're using the manufacturers ASIO driver for the device, which is likely the best for performance anyway.

I'll have to try this with a couple of devices that I have.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 am 

Thanks. I wasn't sure if this was something new or I just stumbled on a Windows "defect". Also, keep in mind the audio will output from your audio interface. You won't be able to use the on-board sound card or speakers for audio out. This is prorbaly OK anyway because I have always sent my audio out through the interface to a separate amplifier speaker setup for the best monitoring capability. :D