It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 pm 

Hey there everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered already and I did search the forum for an answer, but came up with zip.

I bought a new computer recently which runs Windows 8. The problem is when I run Mixcraft 6 I have to have iTunes closed...and vice versa otherwise either Mixcraft and iTunes won't play sound.

iTunes wont play a song at all if Mixcraft is open...and when iTunes plays sound, Mixcraft remains silent. I have to actually close iTunes for any sound to play n Mixcraft and close Mixcraft to play sound in iTunes...which makes no sense at all.

Is this inability to play sound from two separate sources at the same time some evil, cruel joke by Microsoft or am I missing something? It would seem insane not to allow different programs to play sound at the same time, but that's what seems to be going atm.

I'm not very familiar with Windows 8 yet and have checked all the soundcard/speaker settings, which seem fine. Any advice or help with this problem would be great because I want to learn Set to Fail by Lamb of God so I can record a guitar cover of it...but I can't listen to the track in iTunes (or hear the guitar pro file) if Mixcraft is open.

AAAGGGHHH!!! I'm losing my freakin' mind here people!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:45 am 

Hi!

This may or may not be related, but I had a similar problem. On Win Vista and now Win 7 I could either play Mixcraft OR windows Media Player/internet radio etc. Simply switching Mixcraft sound devices to Wave solved the problem. I keep it set to wave now and only switch to my ASIO driver when I record.

I once recorded a singer with a backing track from iTunes and the track would not play. I converted it to WAV with one of those free music converters.

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

ASIO, as well as WaveRT Exclusive Mode, take exclusive control of the audio hardware. That is how these driver models achieve very low latency, since they don't have to share the hardware with other programs. If you've selected ASIO or WaveRT Exclusive Mode, no other software will be able to use your audio hardware while Mixcraft is using it.

Thanks,
Dan