It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: changing bitrates
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:34 pm 

so I have a song that's in the mixing stages.
I recorded @ 16 & 44.1 but if I change to 24 bit it gets crackles & pops all in it.
is this because of the fixed bit thing or can adjusting the latency fix it?
I didn't find anything about it searching the forum.
I asked a buddy @ one of the major Nashville studios but he's unclear on it too but said it's happened to him too & he's using different DAWs like Pro Tools.

Post subject: Re: changing bitrates
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:02 pm 

gypsy101 wrote:
I recorded @ 16 & 44.1 but if I change to 24 bit it gets crackles & pops all in it.

When you say you "change to 24 bit", do you mean you mix down at 24 bit and you get the pops?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 pm 

no I mean I recorded in 16 bit but then when I change it to 24 either for mixing(not mixing down to),more recording,or just for playback it starts the popping & skipping.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 pm 

I may have an answer for you. I usually record @ 44.1khz 16bit at 320kbps mp3 on MC5, but i've been asked to re-produce some of my songs @ 48Khz 24bit as a .wav file. I was hearing crackles just like you describe when i've re-encoded the song using MC5.

If you want to find out what is causing the artifacts read on, or skip to the last paragraph for my fix, Solo each stem and encode it in 24bit as a .wav , and once you're done. Open a new MC project and load all the 24bit wav stems in and solo each one until you find the crackle / artifact etc.. is coming from. Then at least you know whats wrong. For me it was a VSti add-on a String Double Bass from Garritan Big Band 3 that was causing all the crackling as it wasn't being rendered properly by MC5. (sounded great within MC5 playing it, but after encoding / rendering it down to 24bit the crackling appeared)

Anyway to cut to the chase, i fiddled around with settings, and the one that worked for me was to 'untick' the box that says 'Use High Priority Threads For The Audio Engine' . Which is in <File> <Preferences> <Sound Device> . Wasted a whole day out of my life finding the fix that worked for me, hope it works for you mate. Cheers Mark