It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Piano roll input for MC7
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 pm 

Hi Mixcraft! I usually compose with a notation program then send the results to Mixcraft.
When composing directly in the Mixcraft piano roll, a quantized note value (for instance an eighth note) is first selected and that then becomes the note value of everything clicked into the piano roll. The pain in the rear (please excuse my diction) is that every other note value has to be dragged via mouse to a different value. So first click an eighth note where you want it to be and then drag to what you think is going to be a dotted quarter note. I'm petty sure all DAW's are the same because I trialled a ton of them before choosing Mixcraft.
My suggestion is to utilize the keypad numbers to select the note values. press 4 and the selected note becomes a quarter note. press "4 and a dot" and you have a dotted quarter note, press higher or lower numbers for lesser or greater values. this way you compose by mouse and numbers mostly eliminating endless mouse drags. All Mixcraft users that use something like print music or Sibelius will be familiar with this as a faster way of inputting and has been around since Noah was a lad!
Apart from this all I can say is thanks for a totally down to earth sensible piece of software engineering even if this submitted idea doesn't make it!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:45 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion! I logged it as an official feature request.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 pm 

Being A Finale user who also composes in Finale and then imports the MIDI file into MC6 for fine-tuning and performance-- I LOVE this suggestion!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 pm 

mick wrote:
My suggestion is to utilize the keypad numbers to select the note values. press 4 and the selected note becomes a quarter note. press "4 and a dot" and you have a dotted quarter note, press higher or lower numbers for lesser or greater values. this way you compose by mouse and numbers mostly eliminating endless mouse drags.

I think this should apply to the regular number keys for those using a laptop that don't have a keypad. But, I agree.... great suggestion