It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 pm 

does anyone know how to midi record using the DD-65 drum pads internal sample sounds? ( I can record then analog but want to record them midi/digitally) I can digitally record but I have to use sounds from another VST source; ezdrummer, kitcore, or VST drum samples. what I want to be able to use are the sounds that come with DD-65. anyone have any advise?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:37 am 

Hi,

MIDI doesn't contain any audio, it's just music data commands. If you wanted to send MIDI from your drum device into Mixcraft and have it sound like your drum device, you'd have to have a virtual instrument that sounds like your drum device.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 am 

seems like a flaw or I need more info. DD-65 comes with internal sounds. when I connect up the midi cables I can transfer the midi drum hit signals to my mixcraft track but in order to hear a drum sound yes I have to use VST drum sounds from EZ Drummer, kitcore or the standard VST drum sounds that come with mixcraft. the only way, at this point, to use the DD-65 sounds on my recording is go analog through 1/4" output to my interface unit. seems like I'm missing something or Yamaha really had a brain fa%&%#t with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:15 am 

Hi,

That's just the way MIDI works. You need something to read the MIDI data, interpret it, and then play the appropriate sound. When you send the MIDI out to your DD-65, the DD-65 is changing the MIDI data into audio. When you send the MIDI data from the DD-65 into your computer, you need a virtual instrument to interpret the MIDI data and produce sound. If you don't have a DD-65 virtual instrument, you won't get the DD-65 sound with MIDI.

As you mentioned, you can record the audio output of the DD-65 to capture its sound.

There isn't a virtual instrument that has the drum sound you want?

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 am 

seems like DD-65 would come with a VST file with the sounds to load onto your computer to have DD-65 sounds played on your song like all these other virtual drum programs. still seems like something is missing. I'll contact Yamaha, if I can, for the final word on this. if they say the same then I'll have to go analog (lame-a-log) if I want the DD-65 sounds. thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:42 am 

Hi,

That sounds like a good plan. You can also try doing some internet searches to see if anybody else has found a plugin that sounds like the DD-65. I did a few quick searches and didn't find anything.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 am 

me too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:51 am 

Hi,

Maybe instead of looking for a "DD-65" plugin, figure out what the style of the drum kit sounds you like are, and then look for that. You may already have something similar as a preset in your existing drum virtual instruments. For example, Acoustica Studio Drums can do electronic drums and also heavy metal drums, depending on the preset settings.

Greg