It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clip Instances
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:46 pm 

Apologies if this is noobish but I'm having a play with the demo and have just made my way through the manual and didn't notice any info on this: Is it possible to have several intances of the same clip, so that editing one will affect all of them? Obviously it is quite common in music to have a repetitous baseline/beat/whatever that changes momentarily only to continue afterwards so it seems strange that patterns that appear in multiple places would not be editable in one place. Have I missed something?

Anyway, great software -- thoroughly enjoying it.

Post subject: Re: Clip Instances
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 pm 

Hi,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to loop your bass line, but change it occasionally??

So, if you have looped your bass and make a change in the first instance of that loop it will change all the repetitions of that loop.

If you want to change one instance of that loop you will need to SPLIT that off and then any changes you make to that will not affect the rest of the loop. Of course any changes made to the first part of the loop will not be continued past the split either.

Hope that made sense. In re-reading I can see how it might be confusing, but can't figure out a better way of putting it right now.

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere
My Stuff: Mixcraft Live, Soundcloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:13 am 

Pretty much, yes. So suppose I have a drum beat --dum-tish-dum-tish-- and I stretch that out to however many measures, then I pop in a new clip for the break --ba-dum-dum-tish, THEN I want to follow the break with another instance of the original --dum-tish-dum-tish-- clip. This is so that when I inevitably decide that --dum-tish-dum-tish-- should actually be --dum-dum-tish-tish-- I can do that for the entire song by editing one clip rather than hunting around for every copy.

I've never come across audio software without this sort of pattern-based way to arrange a score, hence the question, but if it's not in then I guess I have my first feature request! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 am 

Ya got me thinking.......
I've come up with 2 possibilities for you to try:

1. Run 2 tracks of the same instrument, 1 with the loop till the end and the second containing only the fill clips. When you get to the fill, drop the volume envelope on the first track down to nothing, leaving only the fill audible.

2. A little more advanced and if your VST supports multi-timbral and multi-channel output the same thing could be accomplished using Lanes, accomplishing the same thing on one track.

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 pm 

Hi guys!

Did a quick video demo of another possible solution.

I don't think it is possible to replace just one measure and have the rest change automatically.

Anyway, my contribution and apologies in advance - I get beats bars and measures mixed up a bit (my bad) and the video is not quite synced when the various bits are played. I'm having enough trouble working on audio recording to worry about video production at the moment. :D

Sure you'll get the drift anyway.
http://youtu.be/ZHijti0cWS8

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 pm 

Trevor, the video comes up as private. Looking forward to seeing another alternative 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions chibear (of course now I think "Hmm, automation clips would be good for that!"); trevlyns, vid is private for me also -- will take a look once it's un-private-matized, ta!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:47 pm 

Doh!

Told you I was no good at this video thang...

Try it now fellas.

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:19 pm 

Cheers for that, what an awesome community! Like you say, it would take some work to do it that way and my problem is that I'm fickle so I change stuff a billion times! It does look like it might be the best way to maintain a palette of alternatives given the current system -- much appreciated!