It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 pm 

Hi. I saw a similar topic on this, but my situation is a wee bit different.

I have Mixcraft 6, am running Windows 7 on laptop and desktop. Mixcraft is installed on both.

My keyboard is Acorn Instruments Masterkey 49, which comes with Studio One software. Studio One is installed and upgraded to Studio One 2 on both machines.

Masterkey 49 comes with no drivers, it's basically USB plug and play.

I have Masterkey 49 plugged directly into the computer, have tried the various USB ports. Same issues on all.

All logitech software has been removed and uninstalled from the computers, and I've gotten the keyboard to work in Studio One - although since the upgrade it no longer wishes to operate on that, as well; but at least I know now that the keyboard is functional.

My question is how to get the keyboard to work in Mixcraft.

I was briefly able to get the keyboard to work in Mixcraft on my desktop but not on my laptop after configuring the keyboard in Studio One. However, I have since upgraded the Studio One software, so now it's not working in either Mixcraft OR Studio One.

Both my laptop and my desktop recognize the device in the device manager, and both maintain that it is working properly.

Both Mixcraft and Studio One recognize Masterkey 49, as well, and are configured accordingly. I have the device set at WaveRT.

In Mixcraft, the keyboard is not working for the (virtual) instrument tracks no matter which instrument I try.

The software, however, claims that my audio device is not plugged in. I have the keyboard plugged into the USB port and speakers plugged into the speaker/headphone jack.

I have even rebooted my machines - so far nothing is working correctly.

I have NO IDEA of how I got the keyboard to work in Mixcraft earllier - I followed all instructions to the letter, even followed applicable advice that I read elsewhere in these forums. (Does Studio One interface with Mixcraft?)

Help?
Thanks!

PS - I forgot to mention that the built in virtual instrument keyboard does work, I get sound out of that when I click on the virtual keys with my mouse or when I use my QWERTY keyboard.

Last edited by ardnas on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:26 am 

First of all, I'd check that windows is recognizing the keyboard by taking a look in Device Manager, if you have an unknown device there, try updating the drivers from the properties. If it is there and appears to be working correctly, then I'd download a copy of ASIO4ALL and use these drivers to help Mixcraft to see it.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Hope this helps :)

Just re-read your post and the first part is done :)

Never count your years, make your years count !!!

My Soundcloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 am 

Thanks! Is this software recommended by Mixcraft?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:00 pm 

Hi,

ASIO4All is a generic ASIO driver. It works well for some people and not at all for others. It might not have any bearing on a MIDI problem like this, it would be more involved with your being able to hear the audio output of your sound device with low latency. You can hear sound from the loops in Mixcraft's library right now, correct?

You have to make sure that Studio One is not running in the background when you try to use Mixcraft. Having another MIDI program running can cause the MIDI commands to be intercepted by the other program.

If you're using a USB hub, try plugging directly into your computer instead. You can also try a different USB port. Disconnect any unnecessary USB devices.

Arm an instrument track and make sure that you have a virtual instrument selected like piano or a synth in the "Change Instrument" setting. Don't choose your external MIDI device there.

Arm the track, try recording something from your keyboard, then press stop. Does the clip disappear?

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:24 pm 

Hi -

Not using a hub - and yes, I can hear tones from the library but not via the MIDI keyboard controller. I can only hear them if I use my mouse or QWERTY keybaord in the musical typing - as in your picture.

Hadn't thought about whether Studio One is running in the background - I'll see if that might be the issue. The keyboard is now working in studio one but not in Mixcraft.

Chances are, if I don't need Studio One for anything, I'll get rid of it anyway - I'm so new at this - I installed it thinking I needed it to operate the keyboard since it came with the keyboard - but I bought the keyboard to use with Mixcraft - so now I have all these recording/mixing programs - got another one with the interface I bought to plug my electric guitar and mics into.

Tried recording despite that I couldn't hear anything using the keyboard controller - no sound that way, either, although it went through the motions of recording. It just didn't pick anything up.

ADD IN: Checked processes via task manager, and I don't see Studio One running while Mixcraft is - is there another way I can check that?

Also, double checked on the instruments - I did go in and choose one from there - (been doing that all along but just did it again to double check myself) - chose a hall piano - still nothing. :-(

Post subject: hmmmm
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:45 am 

Is there an issue with Windows 7 64bit?

This is finally working on my desktop (after uninstalling various programs and uninstalling and then re-installing Mixcraft) but not on my laptop, which is running on 64 bit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:39 pm 

Hi there,

Using win7 64-bit here, with a different USB-keyboard (Impulse Novation) on a laptop. I am pretty sure your problem is not (just) because of win7.

It still sounds a little like a driver issue. Do you have a midi cable (or can you borrow one?) and a midi-port on your laptop? If so, try connecting your keyboard that way, just to see what happens. If i remember well, the midi OUT on the Masterkey goes to the midi IN of the cable. But better check that.

You wrote: "Masterkey 49 comes with no drivers, it's basically USB plug and play."
Ok, but if you go to the device manager, look into the props of this thing, and then look at the driver tab, does it say anything there?

Also: did you try and turn the rotary buttons/sliders/etc. on the Masterkey? From personal experience i know that this can be the unexpected and embarrassing cause of failure...

Then this: some quotes from your post that could use some more information:

"Both Mixcraft and Studio One recognize Masterkey 49, as well, and are configured accordingly. I have the device set at WaveRT."
Let me skip Studio One here, and go to:
-where in Mixcraft do you see that it recognizes the Masterkey?
-What excactly do you mean when you say that Mixcraft is configured accordingly?
-What is the device that you set at WaveRT?
-What other devices do you see there?

"The software, however, claims that my audio device is not plugged in."
-What is that software? Mixcraft? Win7? It conflicts a bit with what you wrote before. I probably misunderstand, of course.
-In what form do you get this information? (a popup at a specific time, a properties screen, etc.)

Furthermore: it was unclear to me whether you set the input of the track to the right setting. The Masterkey might be configured or setup to send only on certain midi channels; Mixcraft might be set to receive on the others. Do you have the manual, and if yes, what does it say on midi channels? How did you setup midi in Mixcraft? What is the input selection for the track with the VSTi on it?

Good luck!

still playing: at the drive in-calexico-d. bowie-dead moon-neubauten-faith no more-godflesh-god lives underwater-gy!be-gbv-j. frusciante-misery loves co.-nin-noir désir-p. hammill-pixies-rush-silver mt. zion-swans-the mars volta-vdgg-zen guerrilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:15 pm 

Hi Juno -

To answer your questions:
Quote:
It still sounds a little like a driver issue. Do you have a midi cable (or can you borrow one?) and a midi-port on your laptop? If so, try connecting your keyboard that way, just to see what happens. If i remember well, the midi OUT on the Masterkey goes to the midi IN of the cable. But better check that.

Unfortunately I have no MIDI cables - this keyboard is stricty USB. Don't know if they make MIDI adapters for USB, though - that would be interesting; however my laptop is not equipped with MIDI ports anyway, so there goes that idea, but thanks anyway - that was a good one. :-)

Quote:
You wrote: "Masterkey 49 comes with no drivers, it's basically USB plug and play."

Ok, but if you go to the device manager, look into the props of this thing, and then look at the driver tab, does it say anything there?

See image:

Quote:
Also: did you try and turn the rotary buttons/sliders/etc. on the Masterkey? From personal experience i know that this can be the unexpected and embarrassing cause of failure...

That's a good question, but I haven't messed with anything other than the volume control. Thing is - it works beautifully on my desktop - it's not working at all on my laptop. So if I messed with the wrong thing there, it wouldn't work on either of those.

Quote:
Then this: some quotes from your post that could use some more information:

"Both Mixcraft and Studio One recognize Masterkey 49, as well, and are configured accordingly. I have the device set at WaveRT."

That would be in Mixcraft.

Quote:
Let me skip Studio One here, and go to:

-where in Mixcraft do you see that it recognizes the Masterkey?

This would be in a couple of places. First, in the preferences under MIDI and Sound Devices. When the keyboard controller is plugged into the machine and the power is on, it will recognize these in a drop down menu that gives me a couple of alternatives - either the keyboard or a mic, or if my ASIO interface is plugged in, it will also recognize that.

Next, in the track options - when I arm the track, that little drop down menu will also recognize it if it is plugged in and turned on. It'll give an option for "All MIDI input devices" and an option for "Masterkey 49". Again, if my ASIO interface is plugged in that will also be recognized in the options, so I can choose which device to use on that track.

If I choose the virtual instruments, I can hear the notes being played if I use the Mixcraft's virtual board or use my QWERTY keyboard for note input, but can not hear the notes, nor is there any indication that the notes are being played on the keyboard controller. And what I mean by that is that the sound doesn't appear to be registering - the sound waves aren't lighting up the board.

I opened up the sample song Rapunzel and captured a screen shot to show you what I'm trying to describe about sound registering. When the sound is registering, even if you can't hear it, it'll still light up those areas, but that doesn't happen on my laptop with the keyboard controller in use.

Quote:
-What excactly do you mean when you say that Mixcraft is configured accordingly?

In the preferences, I have configured Masterkey 49 as my default MIDI device in both Studio One and Mixcraft. Of course, Studio One's preferences aren't set up the way Mixcraft's are, Mixcraft seems to automatically know some of the stuff that you have to configure Studio One to do.

Quote:
-What is the device that you set at WaveRT?

Widows Audio.

Quote:
-What other devices do you see there?

The other device that shows up there is my ASIO interface, but only if it is plugged in. I only plug that in if I'm going to use the mics or my electric guitar. I don't run the keyboard through it.

Quote:
"The software, however, claims that my audio device is not plugged in."

-What is that software? Mixcraft? Win7? It conflicts a bit with what you wrote before. I probably misunderstand, of course.
-In what form do you get this information? (a popup at a specific time, a properties screen, etc.)

Not sure I can answer those - I went back to try to find that message again and can't find it, so it may have been a Windows popup. I did a system restore late last night and re-installed everything and haven't seen that pop up since.

Quote:
Furthermore: it was unclear to me whether you set the input of the track to the right setting. The Masterkey might be configured or setup to send only on certain midi channels; Mixcraft might be set to receive on the others. Do you have the manual, and if yes, what does it say on midi channels? How did you setup midi in Mixcraft? What is the input selection for the track with the VSTi on it?

Masterkey, by default, is set to channel 1 - and I haven't changed that. In the preferences, I left that open to all channels, so no matter what channel they keyboard sends from, it should be picked up by Mixcraft since I chose the option of "all channels" in the options.

On this last one I always go in and check this and choose the option for Masterkey. What you see in the picture is that it has the "All MIDI devices" option chosen.

I sure hope these screenshots post - hope these help answer the questions. I feel a little stuck here... lol! If they're a little big, I apologize!

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hi ardnas,

Great, a lot of info! It doesn't all look bad. Well, apart from that it's not working ;-)

Anyway, as you might have noticed, there are some drivers there that probably come from your onboard audio device, like portcls.sys which is a realtek driver and USBAUDIO.sys which is also part of an audio driverset. You should look up those 5 drivers by their full name and extension, and see/make sure where they come from. Then go to that device in device manager and try updating those drivers, or try updating them from the manufacturer's site.

It must be something there. Mixcraft sees the device -which itself needs no drivers, because it is class compliant, so it can use system drivers- but no midi from it comes into Mixcraft. However, midi on your system is working within Mixcraft and your input is setup ok.
So:
-if the problem was in the usb drivers (usb-port), the keyboard would not show up on all those places.
-if the problem was with your midi/sound device (setup/inputs in Mixcraft look ok, should work), not any VI would play
-the keyboard is ok: it works on your desktop and also in Studio One.
But:
-before the system restore, windows detected an issue with your sound device (for windows, a driver that stops working can look like a disconnected cable, like on your LAN if it suddenly disconnects.)
-then you did a system restore
-at least one of the drivers in use by the keyboard that fails communication, is part of the driverset for a sound device

Therefore i think it is one of the drivers of your sound device. Maybe you should remove the drivers first, before updating/reinstalling them.

still playing: at the drive in-calexico-d. bowie-dead moon-neubauten-faith no more-godflesh-god lives underwater-gy!be-gbv-j. frusciante-misery loves co.-nin-noir désir-p. hammill-pixies-rush-silver mt. zion-swans-the mars volta-vdgg-zen guerrilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:09 pm 

Thanks so much, Juno! That makes a lot of sense - I'll check those out and let you know how that went.

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 am 

alrighty then - it wasn't easy trying to figure out these drivers - but I managed - updated them - and this thing is STILL NOT WORKING on my laptop.

All settings are the same as in the above posts, went into my other software program and made sure it's not set to exclusive. I'm just a little bit frustrated now. lol

Any other ideas? I hope?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:11 pm 

Hi,

Try uninstalling Studio One and any related Studio One apps and see if that helps.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 pm 

Hi Greg -

That doesn't seem to have worked either. :-(

This is just weird.

I even double checked my settings on my desktop to make sure they're the same on my laptop.

Could THIS be the problem, by chance?

In this picture, we see that the "input" sound device options are either a stereo mix or microphone.

I've tried using both options (individually, of course) with no avail on either one.

On my desktop, though, there are no options for the input - it's just blank. I have no idea of how I did that - and didn't want to mess with it on my desktop for fear of not being able to use the keyboard controller on there again. And it seems to be working beautifully on the desktop - so if I can get it to work on my laptop, too, I'll be a happy Mama.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 pm 

Those are your onboard Realtek soundcard settings.

Same options here for an audio track.
Attachment:
Input selections.jpg
Input selections.jpg [ 22.27 KiB | Viewed 1766 times ]

Your interface would show up there if it was plugged in.

What we are looking for is a MIDI device that would work on an intrument track, and the settings like this right?
Attachment:
midi input.jpg
midi input.jpg [ 11.82 KiB | Viewed 1765 times ]

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

Last edited by mbliss on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:00 pm 

Hi!

I see this thread is getting kinda desperate - and that's the only reason for my reply - I'm no expert!

Its just that I've had a "keyboard not working" problem twice before - most recent was yesterday when I moved my KB and hooked it up again.

I use one of these MIDI to USB cables - straight from the keyboard to the usb port on my comp or laptop. I found I had accidentally reversed the MIDI in/out cable - just swapping them around solved the problem.

Could it really be that simple?

Good luck for a solution anyway. :D

Attachments:
pic.jpg
pic.jpg [ 60.04 KiB | Viewed 1765 times ]

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve