It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 am 

As much as I love Mixcraft I still much prefer old fashioned scoring on the staff to composing on a piano roll. So I've started experimenting a bit with export of midi from notation apps. The free MuseScore, seems to generate pretty clean basic midi files that open with no fuss in Mixcraft. I'm also going to experiment with Finale (demo), Sibelius (demo) and Overture, which I own a license for. But before I spend days or weeks reinventing the wheel I wanted to ask you guys if you've found any of these four notation apps to be preferable to the others for that particular work flow (midi to Mixcraft). In particular I like to write string quartets and rarely full orchestral if that matters. I'm not interested in the 'all-in-one' solution of trying to get a daw to behave like notation software or vice versa because they're all weak at what's not their primary function.

I can get a cross grade to Finale for $140 which isn't too bad. Probably similar for Sibelius. Waiting for a reply from their sales people. So I'm not worried about the cost. I'm probably going to ditch Overture because it seems to be turning in to abandonware even though I love it for writing notation.

On a related note, are there any plans for Mixcraft to deal with xml files?

Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 am 

Hi
I am not familiar with Sibellius.. But I recently upgraded my Finale to Finale 2012. One thing it does with no problem is step recording. Below is an excerpt from my post to the MC7 suggestion thread
Quote:
1) MIDI step recording: If you want to "sequence in" something from the sheet music or score, right now you have two ways. Click each note in with a mouse or arm the track for recording and play the material on your MIDI keyboard. With more complex classical stuff, this can be a pain in the you-know-what. With step recording, you set all your timing and note duration parameters ahead of time. Then you put the DAW into step record. It sits there waiting for you to play something on your MIDI keyboard. As soon as you play, it stores what you played into the track and moves the "pointer" to the next note position based on note duration and waits again. So, if you need to struggle through a passage, it waits for you. Obviously, if you can play simpler passages at normal speed, it will record also.
I think that "step recording" might be available in MC7.. I am not sure. Only the Acoustica guys can elaborate on that

Good luck
Pierre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:44 am 

Thanks, Clavguy, but step recording isn't really something I need.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:52 pm 

Hi,

What kind of XML files? What would you want to do with them?

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

My "hope" is that xml files, since they generally originate from notation apps (if I understand correctly) might carry more relevant data in a tidier fashion than midi files generated by the same apps. But frankly I don't know much about it. It's on my reading list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:19 pm 

Hi,

When you open your .mid files in Mixcraft be sure to open them by selecting "Open Project" from the File menu. If you use "Add Sound File" on the instrument track, you may get lesser results (depending on the .mid file).

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:29 pm 

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I've got a lot of experimenting to do. So far I'm really impressed by that little freeware scoring app, MuseScore. It just seems to spit out midi files that work with no fuss but I haven't had time to experiment with velocity, panning, articulations, etc to see what does and doesn't survive the conversion to midi. I'll learn more this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm 

Hi,

Yeah, I was going to suggest sticking with MuseScore, but see which one works best for you.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:20 am 

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Hi,

What kind of XML files? What would you want to do with them?

Greg

Greg,
This is something I requested for MC7.

We're talking about Music XML (MXML) files. Scoring software seems to be moving in the direction of using them for import/export between applications in preference to MIDI files as they can contain more information and produce better results. So, they'd be the preferred file type for Tunesy (or me) to export from our score writing software (Musescore is great by the way) and import into Mixcraft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 pm 

Hi,

Okay, I see it in the Mixcraft 7 suggestion topic. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 am 

Greg,
OK, but if you did build a mXML interface would it be dependent on MC's own notation facility being able to interpret the data correctly - which I'm sure it wouldn't currently be capable of - or would you be building a MXML to MIDI import feature?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 am 

Hi,

Good point. That would be up to the software developers. I don't believe we have plans to compete with Finale or Sibelius in the notation department, so some kind of translation would likely be involved if the software developers decided to take on this feature.

Greg