It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dissable "loop thingy"
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:27 pm 

:? Ok, for a lack of a proper term, my question will refer to the "Loop Thingy". I need a "Make it simple " response. Every time I open up my Mixcraft 6 software and bring in "Sound Element" to create either a "Radio Spot" or full radio program, when attempting to reduce "Spacing" the window pop up (thinking that I am either trying to create a loop, or transpose a tone.) Is their any way to disable this function and/or call it up as I need it rather than poping up anytime I click on a sound with my mouse?

I have tried to tweak my mouse at different settings but to no avail, that box on the bottom of the mixcraft page pop up and I have to stop what I am doing to click on the "-" to close it. This annoying situation is taking 30 min to create a :30 spot. Please advise as to what is causing this to happen and how to disable this function. :!:

http://www.solidgold14k.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:06 am 

Not completely sure what you mean, but have a look at Preferences-->Project and disable 'Change Project Tempo 'n Key t' match First Sound' (aye, talkin' Pirate, yoho)

Otherwise, you might want to explain a bit more. I honestly don't understand what you do and what happens - my suggestion above is purely based on "thinking that I am either trying to create a loop, or transpose a tone."

still playing: at the drive in-calexico-d. bowie-dead moon-neubauten-faith no more-godflesh-god lives underwater-gy!be-gbv-j. frusciante-misery loves co.-nin-noir désir-p. hammill-pixies-rush-silver mt. zion-swans-the mars volta-vdgg-zen guerrilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:30 am 

I think I know exactly what he means, and have the same functional issue at times. (And an additional related one as well.)

Quote:
"Loop Thingy".
= Sounds tab
Quote:
"Sound Element"
= Clip
Quote:
"reduce Spacing"
= Clip relocation, dragging, shifting, etc.

When editing a track (splitting, dragging, merging, fiddling) and attempting to work rapidly, the sound tab will pop up. It is designed to open with a double click on the track or clip, but its very sensitive to being opened inadvertently. It may be mouse sensitivity settings or an OFC tremor, but yes, its very annoying.

The second issue I have is accidently creating automation points when clicking on a clip or track.

I am not aware of any way to toggle these functions off at this time, and would agree that a minor change to this function would be a nice touch in MC7.

In the meantime, a few things that may help.
One is as the OP mentioned, adjusting mouse settings. (These things can be particularly bad if you use a laptop and its touchpad BTW. I use a USB mouse to improve matters.)
Another thing that helps sometimes is to temporarily increase the track size a little so you have more area to target when using "point and click" functions. (This is especially useful on the inadvertant automation point creation issue I mentioned above.)
But lastly, the best thing to do for the OP's mentioned frustration:
Click on Undock on the details tool bar and then Minimize the window and it stays put as a minimized tool bar until you need it.
Quote:
I need a "Make it simple " response.

I hope that I did, and still kept it usefully informative...... 8)

I think the OP has a valid point, in that some of these functions need a minor re-think. No need for anything complicated, but obviously, like me, the OP doesnt use the sounds tab in a way that requires this shortcut option. And unless there is a way I have overlooked, the ability to simply toggle it off would be nice.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 am 

Ah, ok. I guess you're right - for this to be an issue, the sound tab (project tab, etc.) is minimized without undocking it first? At least, that way i could get it to 'pop up' back to its docked position by doubleclicking a clip, and if you have more than a couple of tracks, this would obscure those tracks.

Your solution is easy and effective, but maybe still a little bit cumbersome if you still need the soundtab more often. Another solution is available for those who have a second monitor (undock, and position the soundtab on that monitor).

Mbliss wrote:
The second issue I have is accidently creating automation points when clicking on a clip or track. I am not aware of any way to toggle these functions off at this time, and would agree that a minor change to this function would be a nice touch in MC7.

I got myself to always click the title bar instead, but this was a bit 'whoopsie' in the beginning, yeah. Maybe automation points should only be allowed if the automation button is active (even though this activates something slightly different)?

still playing: at the drive in-calexico-d. bowie-dead moon-neubauten-faith no more-godflesh-god lives underwater-gy!be-gbv-j. frusciante-misery loves co.-nin-noir désir-p. hammill-pixies-rush-silver mt. zion-swans-the mars volta-vdgg-zen guerrilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 am 

Juno wrote:
Ah, ok. I guess you're right - for this to be an issue, the sound tab (project tab, etc.) is minimized without undocking it first? At least, that way i could get it to 'pop up' back to its docked position by doubleclicking a clip, and if you have more than a couple of tracks, this would obscure those tracks.

Yes, exactly

Juno wrote:
Your solution is easy and effective, but maybe still a little bit cumbersome if you still need the soundtab more often. Another solution is available for those who have a second monitor (undock, and position the soundtab on that monitor).

Yes, thats another "advanced" solution! :wink:

Mbliss wrote:
The second issue I have is accidently creating automation points when clicking on a clip or track.

Juno wrote:
I got myself to always click the title bar instead, but this was a bit 'whoopsie' in the beginning, yeah. Maybe automation points should only be allowed if the automation button is active (even though this activates something slightly different)?

Well this reminds me of yet another thing, because this sometimes happens when doing things like clicking on a track to locate the cursor at a desired edit point, it is often helpful to add an empty track (above or below the track you are editing) to create a space to "point and click" in...... That simple one is hard to describe, just try it!

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 am 

mbliss wrote:
it is often helpful to add an empty track (above or below the track you are editing) to create a space to "point and click" in...... That simple one is hard to describe, just try it!
Yeah, that is a good tip! :idea: And then maybe mute it, so it acts as a visual marker too... Hm, i really have to write down how i want my template (different topic) to look like...

Sorry to teesimmons14k for sidetracking a bit :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:51 pm 

Juno wrote:
mbliss wrote:
it is often helpful to add an empty track (above or below the track you are editing) to create a space to "point and click" in...... That simple one is hard to describe, just try it!
Yeah, that is a good tip! :idea: And then maybe mute it, so it acts as a visual marker too... Hm, i really have to write down how i want my template (different topic) to look like...

Its also a great tip for creating an area to drag the cursor for looping a segment.
I dont know that muting the track makes much difference since its a blank track anyway, and its easy enough to add, move or delete to not really be necessary to include in a template IMO. And since its really only very useful in the editing stage.
But hey, whatever works for you!

Juno wrote:
Sorry to teesimmons14k for sidetracking a bit :lol:

I don't think its that much of a sidetrack, since its all fairly relevent to the original post topic, but yeah, I apologize too if we've hijacked your post.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page