It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 am 

Finally, after 3-4 months of inaction, I have started to make music again. It seems I have forgotten how to use the pan/volume option at the top, because it doesn´t work on certain tracks.

I have recorded drums (pan works) five guitar tracks (pan doesn´t work), bass (doesn´t work) and a midi track (pan works).

Now, this could be a fault on my computors behalf (not very powerful XP), so I´m going to try to mix on another not so very powerful computor (win 7), to see if the pan option works there.

Pan does work on all tracks if I use the pan controller that is attached to the left on the track lane itself. But I want to pan only certain bits on various tracks.

Regards/
M@rkus

2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 8 GB ram, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 am 

what do you have selected when arming for recording?
stereo,left,right?
chances are you armed for stereo on the gtr & bass when you most likely should have selected Left(mono). check the level meters while armed/monitoring for each & make sure that both R & L levels are registering. most likely it's left but some systems may differ.

drums & midi are usually in stereo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 am 

Can you use the Automation lanes to adjust the panning of selected parts?

Birthday cake is the only food that you can blow on and everyone still wants a piece !!!

My Soundcloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:12 am 

Thanks for your replies! When I recorded the tracks I used "Left" (i think). But when I looked at the tracks now, they were set to "stereo". I changed to "left" but still couldn´t use the panning!
Volume works though!
I also clicked on "automation lane" and changed panning there to no avail.
I can pan the bass-track, even though that is set to "stereo". but not the solo-guitars when I set them to "stereo".

Then I copied one guitar solo track, and pasted it on to the bass-track, and then I could pan! But then I didn´t get the effects from ampli-tube.

I checked all other guitar-tracks (also recorded with ampli-tube) and I couldn´t pan those either. This makes me wonder if ampli-tube is the problem?

Regards/
M@rkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:19 am 

possibly.
how is it set in Amplitube?
could it be possible something is not fully plugged in somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:29 am 

If it's a mono recording, create a duplicate track, put both tracks into a submix track and pan one hard left and one hard right. Then pan the submix track as you want using the submix track panning line. This is just another way to get the panning done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:07 am 

Yes I see, it might be mono recordings? When I recorded I loaded "left" cannel, only then I got both meters flashing (to me that indicates stereo...). If I loaded "stereo" - only one meter was flashing (seems strange to me...but what do I know?)

But even so, shouldn´t a mono recording be able to get panned left or right? Otherwise, I will follow Outteh´s suggestion!

Regards/
M@rkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am 

Anther question; How do I create a "submix" the way Outteh suggested?

Regards/
M@rkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:20 am 

From the +Track menu add submix track type. Then drag and drop your tracks into the submix track.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 am 

This may be related, or not, I'm really not sure.

Normally your guitar or bass signal (mono) is input to one channel of an interface and into your DAW. The DAW splits the signal into the output buss, which is 2 channel, but since it is a mono signal, it isnt really stereo, just the same mono signal which you can pan, essentially turning down one of the two output channels.
Sometimes programs like Amplitude can cause odd problems here, because its output is true stereo to allow for effects like chorus etc.
So I am wondering if you might have a problem with the way your setting up the channel, routing to/from Amplitube and so forth.

First question, backing up. I dont understand the statement that you cant pan "at the top" but you can use the pan knobs in the track header? Do you mean the automation lane doesnt work in pan mode but the tracks pan slider works? What do you mean by "at the top"?

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 am 

mbliss wrote:
This may be related, or not, I'm really not sure.

Normally your guitar or bass signal (mono) is input to one channel of an interface and into your DAW. The DAW splits the signal into the output buss, which is 2 channel, but since it is a mono signal, it isnt really stereo, just the same mono signal which you can pan, essentially turning down one of the two output channels.
Sometimes programs like Amplitude can cause odd problems here, because its output is true stereo to allow for effects like chorus etc.
So I am wondering if you might have a problem with the way your setting up the channel, routing to/from Amplitube and so forth.

First question, backing up. I dont understand the statement that you cant pan "at the top" but you can use the pan knobs in the track header? Do you mean the automation lane doesnt work in pan mode but the tracks pan slider works? What do you mean by "at the top"?

Thank you for your reply! What I mean with "pan on the top", is that on top on the panel there is a knob which can be altered between "volume" and "pan" (top circle on image). If I choose "pan" I can pan individual clips on a track. This doesn´t work on those tracks recorded using amplitube. It works on all the other tracks.

I can pan with the pan-knob that is attached to the left of the recording track (circle number two on the image). But this means that I pan every clip on that track the same way, which I don´t want to do.

Hope this makes it clearer as to what I mean, I´m not familiar with all of the correct terms in Mixcraft!

I can´t remember that I´ve had this problem with amplitube before. But when I click on the "fx" button to check what settings I´ve choosen on Amplitube, it doesn´t seem to have saved my settings, although it still sounds right.
What I mean is that when I click on the "fx" button, amplitube is in default mode, instead of the mode I used when I recorded the track.

Regards/
M@rkus

Attachments:
Mixcraft_pan.jpg
Mixcraft_pan.jpg [ 111.53 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am 

If you click on the automation button on the track you can automate your panning just like the volume line. The track automation allows for volume or panning control. And yes it sounds like ampli-tube might be what,s causing you to have to do "work-a rounds".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 am 

And to complicate matters more, I would like to gradually change the panning from left to right during the solo...I think I have to give up my "Queen crazed"-panning dreams...

Thanks a lot for all the help!

M@rkus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 am 

You can do this with the panning automation. Also, I believe their is an effect called autopan in the effects chains settings?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:06 pm 

Markus, Jag ser vad översättningen problemet är, det finns roliga ord på din version av Mixcraft!
Låt oss se om vi kan göra för att lista ut, men på engelska OK vän?

(Markus, I see what the translation problem is, there's funny words on your version of Mixcraft!
Let's see if we can do to figure this out, but in English ok friend?)

This all reminds me how much different the way we all use the program might be!

The button you are using is for the main envelope in the track. I am not positive why this isn't working, but I suspect it has to do with the way Amplitude works as we spoke about before.

Try the automation lane instead and see if that gives the desired result.
On your guitar (gitarr) track, click on the automation icon:
Attachment:
Automation1.jpg
Automation1.jpg [ 9.49 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

Then change it to panning:
Attachment:
Automation2.jpg
Automation2.jpg [ 9.86 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

Now adjust the panning as desired and see if that works:
Attachment:
Automation3.jpg
Automation3.jpg [ 21.57 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]