It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Naughty plug-in alert
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:29 pm 

I was playing with a freebie and found out the hard way what it can cost you. Lost two ~3 Hr mixing sessions and now have confirmed the suspected cause.

Plug-in:
QuikQuak StereoUp (Stereo widener/spatial enhancer)

Major faults=

1: The plug-in has a "loudness" function that is on by default. Potential to damage your monitors is high. Very bad programming decision. Its like a gain function set on full blast as a default setting!

2: Twice I installed it on the main bus, tweaked it as desired in the last steps of a long mixing session. Hit save in Mixcraft and....... Total lock up. Nothing works, no response. Try to close Mixcraft and the warning box opens telling you your project has not been saved. Select any button, (save and close, dont save, cancel) nothing changes. Frozen. Force the program to close and try to re-open the project, the file is empty. The backup file is an empty Virtual instrument project template.

Bad VST. Very bad.
VST deleted. Drop back to punt.

Tested Wok M-ST and it has worked fine so far with no BS. Theres plenty of others as well, but if anyone is interested:
http://music.service-1.de/html/m-st.html

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 am 

I tried this plug-in long ago, and long ago discarded it. Many of these stereo enhancers hype frequencies and this sounds good at first, until you realize what they are doing to your audio.

Here's a good one to try. I have found it to be the least offensive of the freebies in this regard.

http://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/plugi ... _solo.html

If you have MC6 pro the Izotope Mastering Essentials plug-in can be used to spread out mixes.