It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MIDI note duration?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:55 am 

I didn't know how else to head it.
In MC5: (I'm upgrading soon!) using Superior Drummer 2.0- I want a bass drum hit with a cymbal crash-followed by a two hit bass drum with a two hit cymbal choke/mute-accent-whatever the term-typical rock/metal stuff. But the crash is not stopping. I've shortened the crash midi info. It sounds "rings" over the two beat accents. I've decreased crash velocity. I've made a volume track envelope. I put the crash on it's own track. I made a crash midi envelope. I just want the two accents sharp-nice and quiet! :twisted:

Post subject: Re: MIDI note duration?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:06 pm 

It's going to depend on the kit and samples that you have loaded. For instance, in EZDrummer, there's a Crash A that rings out and a Crash A Muted that chokes the hit. The length of the sample before the choke varies from kit to kit. It will be the same in Superior Drummer.

Also, maybe some of the talk in this thread will help you:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:04 pm 

Vibrant Audio wrote:
It's going to depend on the kit and samples that you have loaded. For instance, in EZDrummer, there's a Crash A that rings out and a Crash A Muted that chokes the hit. The length of the sample before the choke varies from kit to kit. It will be the same in Superior Drummer.

Also, maybe some of the talk in this thread will help you:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14483

Very true! In EZD Rock Solid has a lot of compression (but adjustable). With my problem instead of the crash stopping when the choke sounded it rings through the chokes. If I shorten the crash it sounds over the choke midi clips.
Thanks for the link. I did try adding a second crash and lowering the velocity-didn't work. BUT I did find something that worked! A simple gate. For now the gate is on the complete drum track. But in MC6 I can just have the gate on the crash track. For now I might put a gate on the intro crashes only because that's where the accents are. The rest of the song is fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:21 am 

or add a separate track just for the choked cymbals & gate that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:09 am 

gypsy101 wrote:
or add a separate track just for the choked cymbals & gate that.

True! That's why I love digital. Endless tracks!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:20 pm 

OK-forget what I said about the gate :roll: What seemed to be a good idea at 3 A.M.-well.....
@ Vibrant Audio: I took what you said and applied it to the Avatar kit. For example in the piano roll view key G2 is Crash5. Key Bb4 is Crash5 Choke/Mute-no gate needed!! :D
I was on the other side in SD trying to set different articulations on the same midi note :oops:
Not knowing much about MIDI-I thought I had to keep the info (beats) all on the same line. Have I confused everyone???? No charge! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 pm 

2:06 A.M. EST and I think I got it sussed!! From all of my ramblings and early morning experiments to others pitchin' in (thanx guys): Setting the Envelope in Superior Drummer 2 did it-period! :idea: No gate needed! Of course Envelope settings will vary from person to person-style/project. MC and SD are some powerful tools!!! If they ever become self aware and learn how to nuke Hot Pockets we are in T-rouble!!! :shock: