It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixdown volume low
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:34 pm 

Hello, when I mix down to a wav file (24 bit 44,100 Hz), the volume level is considerably lower than that of the project. If my Windows sound level is at 25 when I'm working on the project in Mixcraft, I have to jack it up to 32 when listening to the wav file, which is much higher than I typically set it (any other song would be way too loud at that point). I'm pretty sure 44,100 is the right setting (if I do 48,000, the electric guitar gets wiped out). I use ASIO4ALL.

I know that when mastering I can use compression on the .wav file to boost the level, but that will diminish the dynamics, so I'm just wondering if I'm setting something wrong, or if this is a normal part of the mixdown process and compression is the way to go (and if this is the case, how do I retain as much of the dynamics as possible?)

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Mixdown volume low
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:59 am 

what about the volume level on the media player itself?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 am 

VLC media player is at 100%. I also made a new track within the project and put the wav file there, and if I mute it and solo it and go back and forth, the wav file is clearly way quieter than the project. Even if I raise the track to +6 dB, completely in the red, it's still a little lower in volume.

But again, the quality of the wav file is perfect. The only problem is I have to crank up my headphones to hear it. Same problem if I mixdown to an mp3. I should add that I've already updated to the latest version of Mixcraft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:05 pm 

Hi,

Which version and build of Mixcraft are you using? Is it Mixcraft 6.1 build 217?

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 am 

mixcraftquestion wrote:
Hello, when I mix down to a wav file (24 bit 44,100 Hz), the volume level is considerably lower than that of the project. If my Windows sound level is at 25 when I'm working on the project in Mixcraft, I have to jack it up to 32 when listening to the wav file, which is much higher than I typically set it (any other song would be way too loud at that point). I'm pretty sure 44,100 is the right setting (if I do 48,000, the electric guitar gets wiped out). I use ASIO4ALL.

I know that when mastering I can use compression on the .wav file to boost the level, but that will diminish the dynamics, so I'm just wondering if I'm setting something wrong, or if this is a normal part of the mixdown process and compression is the way to go (and if this is the case, how do I retain as much of the dynamics as possible?)

Thank you!

The loudness of your project playback and the loudness of the exported project wav file playback aren't really related. The nearest you can get to being similar is to make sure that the master project slider is set at the default 100% setting. Double click the slider itself to reset to default.

When you are mixing/mastering, the volume that you listen at is not important, you should be focusing more on getting the outputted wav as close as you can to 0db without clipping.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:54 am 

Hi,

Just to make sure on the volume issue, you can import your wav file back into Mixcraft and do a A-B comparison just to be sure the volume levels are the same.

For your final product you have to decide what your dynamic rage is going to be. I always seem to write with a wider dynamic range than is practical for the final bounce to wave. If you go to Soundcloud and look at the wave forms you see the majority of people basically do not use dynamics at all even in orchestral tunes.

SO, what I finally settled on was a little compression, then normalize (Ironically this was suggested to me on Soundcloud by a Bulgarian jazz pianist). For me this is still hit & miss so I might need 4 or 5 attempts to get a good balance between general project volume and dynamic range. You are right to be concerned about compression as just a little too much will choke the life out of a dynamic rich tune.

My favorite compressor for this job right now is 5orcery which is a freebee

Hope this helps

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 4 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere
My Stuff: Mixcraft Live, Soundcloud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 am 

I did a lot of testing and it turns out this is only a problem on this particular project. When I mixdown other projects, they come out just fine. So I disabled all of the fx on this project - didn't help. Then I tried just mixing down one single track - mixdown still came out quiet. Then I copy/pasted all the tracks from this project into a new project and the sound came out just fine. So it seems to be a little bug that only affects this project. I've messed around with this project on-and-off for maybe 6 months (this project is my introduction to Mixcraft, I've tried out practically everything with it) so it's probably just gotten screwy along the way.

The only problem is there are 16 tracks and I have to redo all of the effects and levels exactly as I had them, which will take a bit of time.

New question - is there a way to copy/paste tracks while retaining the fx?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:32 am 

duplicate track will contain the fx & levels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 am 

But can I duplicate it and put it into a new project file?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 pm 

mixcraftquestion wrote:
But can I duplicate it and put it into a new project file?
No, but you can save the effects chain for each track from the dropdown box at the top of the effects list.