It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:06 am 

Hi, I am in the process of remixing some old songs and loaded up the drum wav file, the original wav came from a series of purchased drum loops I no longer have. The drums have way too much reverb on them, I want replace them with dry drums and want the individual drum hits on separate tracks (kick track, snare track, hats, etc). Started to recreate the drum pattern by hand using VI studio drums but the drum pattern is a bit complex and it was taking too much time.

Thought it would be cool to see if there was a plugin that could convert the wav form into midi notes, after doing some googling found this free plugin: http://www.tobybear.de/p_midibag.html. The plugin is called peak freak (great name).

Basically what I did was load up the drum wav file, selected effect chain - Drum - Kick - Tight, played with the EQ settings to isolate just the kick drum frequencies, I then loaded the Peak Freak VST on the same track, then adjust the setting in Peak Freak to trigger on those frequencies (it has sliders that I just played with until I got a good portion of hits).

Next I armed a Virtual Track, made sure to receive midi on channel one (that is the channel Peak Freak is set to), hit record, and low and behold it captured the midi events, after recorded I did have to grab all the events and move them to the correct kick drum sound.

I then did the same thing for the snare drum, using the effect chain for Drum - Snare and again adjusted EQ, did the same procedure as above.

Just gave it a listen and I got to say it did a great job, I just have a little cleanup to do but this saved me hours of work. (Now I'm gonna capture the high hats, and cymbals)

Anyway just sharing, since I'm really excited about finding cool solution to a problem.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:17 pm 

Thanks for the tip, could come in handy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:53 am 

This post should be called drum cheats! :lol::-o

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM