It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:54 am 

I posted about this a while back and then put it on the back burner. I decided to have another look but I can't work it out.

I have Mixcraft pro studio installed on my desktop computer but have also been using it on my laptop. The laptop has, in the past had mixcraft 5, mixcraft 5 pro and mixcraft 6. Most recently I installed mixcraft pro studio 6 (looking at my email it would have been in July 2012).

My problem is this. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, my installation started launching as mixcraft 5!

So I have now completely uninstalled all versions of mixcraft that I can find. I removed the mixcraft folders in my registry. I ran ccleaner to clean up my registry.

Last time I posted about this support resent me the email with the download link (which I still had). But the problem persists.

The install file says it is the mixcraft pro download installer, and indeed when I run it the installer installs the extra pro stuff, for example pianissmo so I am sure it is the correct installer, I have tried the installer on another computer and the pro version installs just fine so the file has to be correct.

BUT on the laptop that I really need it on, even though it goes through installing everything the computer thinks it has mixcraft 6 standard. Frankly I couldn't care less what the computer thinks it has, the trouble is my reg code is for mixcraft pro and I can't authorise the version on the laptop.

What more can I try!

Lucky for me I have plenty of hair but at this rate I will have pulled it all out soon!

TIA

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:10 am 

First, try your Mixcraft 6 Pro code to register the Mixcraft 6 install. 6 and Pro are the same thing except for the additional plugins. I had the same issue. The install installed 6 and once I used the 6 Pro registration code, it became Mixcraft Pro. Make sure you have the current registration code for Mixcraft 6 Pro. It wouldn't,t hurt to get the reg code again through the support site (if your e-mail address is still correct). See if this helps. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 am 

Thanks for the reply Tom. The first thing I tried was my code (which I have now had sent to me twice) but it just says it is an invalid code. The code i receive authorises pro on another machine. I realise they are exactly the same product and as I said I really don't mind if my computer thinks it is the standard version. The only functional difference is that the splash screen is a different colour - that I can live with!

The only other thing I can think of doing is asking support to send me a mixcraft standard reg number.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:38 am 

I don't believe the registration code has a requirement for a specific computer. If your getting invalid code, they sent you the wrong one. See what support has to say and ask for another reg code. :) I have 2 copies of Mixcraft and they use the same reg code.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:47 am 

Sorry Tom I don't think I explained myself properly.

The reg code is fine (you are absolutely correct that the code is not machine specific, it is tied to the username) as demonstrated by the fact that when I use the install file on another computer and use the same reg code everything is hunky dorey.

I am convinced that something is screwed up on my laptop that is messing with the registration. To the extent that I am seriously thinking of a fresh OS install (it hasn't had one for about 4 years!)

I am fairly sure that the reg code for pro is different from standard as that is the only difference between the instellations - but of course I could be wrong, it has been known :)

I have requested a new code just in case but as I said the code I already have does work so I don't really expect that another working code will change my situation much.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I really do appreciate your input.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 am 

One other thing you can try, but it,'s delicate! Uninstall Mixcraft, then manually go through your windows registry and remove any Mixcraft references. Back up your registry first. I did this once on one of my installs because it wasn't registering the install properly, this was after I ran Regclean to clean up the registry, it still left old Mixcraft references in there. Could be a fairly quick fix! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:13 pm 

Again, a good suggestion. If you re-read my initial post I have done this (and yes I made a back up just in case).

Thanks again.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:38 pm 

One last effort! Just curious, can you run it from the Mixcraft folder location (not the desktop shortcut) with admin rights and see if this does anything? Then I'll leave you to your misery! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 am 

Sorry Tom - I didn't mean to go quiet on you, I was visiting relatives and their internet connection went down! I am now back home, your suggestion is a good one and when I have unpacked I will give it a try and report back.

Thanks again

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 am 

take the laptop fishin',deep sea style bottom fishin'. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:04 pm 

Last week I tried the Serif movieplus video editor starter edition but it wouldn't install unless i included the movieplus toolbar. OK so i can delete this afterwards can't I - NO! It clung to the computer like a leech possesed, I found all sorts of references to it all over the place and deleted every scrap and morsel only to find its still there. By this time the computer's well and truly messed up and fit for nothing. Thank you Serif for the MALICIOUS VIRUS even though my pageplus x6 program is first class.
Lately Mixcraft has been getting slower to load (long enough to make a cupa tea) so saturday I took the plunge and did a factory fresh install and now I have a formula one computer, no bugs, sneezes or likewise and all programs loaded swiftly and run fine and dandy.
This is the bit I don't get. I trialled a few video editors but even after unistalling them the computer thinks they are still there, so maybe something wierd resides within the hard drives? In the past I've deleted a problematic program then reinstalled only to find the fresh copy is a perfect clone of the one I zapped and all the old settings re-appear rather than the new default ones.

Last edited by mick on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm 

I forgot to mention, I settled for the Sony movie studio platinum12 suite and it has the Sony soundforge 10 program included with a version of izotope vocal zapper, dunno if its the full version or not yet. Amazon £30.
Looks like an amazing video editor, all I need now is a super video camera but that may be some time coming.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:57 am 

Tom

you are the man!!! I opened the program with Admin privileges and it still opened up as Mixcraft 6 Std but this time when I entered the code it was accepted (it wasn't before). When I restarted the program opened up as Pro Studio.

Thanks for helping - very much appreciated.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 am 

Great! Now check your shortcut on the desktop and set it to run Mixcraft with admin rights. :)