It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm 

Further to a rant I made on a previous posting about condenser microphones, whereby I voiced my suspicions that many are virtually the same item with only minor differences, I came across a page on the recordinghacks website with regard to the now discontinued Soundeluxe U195, also known as the Elux195. According to the article, this microphone retailed at $995 (I presume US$).

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Soundelux/U195

Now here's the rub. The 1 inch cartridge that appears on that webpage appears to be exactly the same one that is inside my Behringer B-1, which would suggest that if there is any difference, it's only in the circuitry. Like the Behringer B-1, that U195 also has -10dB pad and rumble filter.

My Behringer B-1's 25mm cartridge has failed, in that it bangs and cuts out when sound hits it. After extensive searching, I can only find 32mm ones at higher prices. However, I've now found a cheap condenser mic that's being sold for much less than the Behringers, and that's the Fame CM2, which ( also has a 25mm cartridge, and may very well be the same Chinese component. Anyway, if the circuitry is inferior but the cartridge is the same, it will be a cost-effective transplant donor.

The plot thickens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:35 pm 

where do you buy your gear?
when I buy from Musician's Friend or the like I pay around $10 extra for a 2 year no hassle warranty that even inludes shipping. it's worth it just for that.
if I buy a mic for $40-$75 & get 2 years of hard use I figure I did well but once again,you usually get what you pay for.
now,I'm not saying a Neumann U87 is worth $3000 IMO but w/ something like Behringer or some Chinese EBAY mic,well..... :roll:

I really like my MXL's & I baby them but they work well once you dial them in and the price is definitely right. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 pm 

Being in the UK, Musicians Friend is not an option, and I've never seen warranty extension options being offered. I just hunt around the internet for best UK prices. However, we have a certain piece of consumer law called the Sales of Goods Act that gives us protection for up to six years, depending upon the nature of the goods and how it is expected to be used. A studio mic would be expected to reasonably last 6 years. The problem I have is that because I've had my Behringer B-1 for over six months (I bought it 18 months ago) the retailer is within their legal rights to demand that I produce an engineers' report stipulating that the microphone was inherently faulty when I purchased it. Firstly, where the hell do I find a suitable qualified microphone engineer, and secondly, how can he prove that the capsule was inherently faulty when I purchased it? As usual, our useless politicians let us down yet again with inadequate legislation.

I really like the Behringer B-1; it's a heavy mic that's solidly built, and when used with the Onyx pre-amps in my small Mackie mixer it sounds not only crisp and lively, but also deep when singing close up. It absolutely craps over my AT2035, which lacks presence and makes me sound like I'm trying to sing from the back of my throat. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was little difference between the B-1 and the average MXL mics. However, I will likely sell my little collection of inadequate dynamic mics and buy an Electrovoice RE320.