It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/theforeigntones/fresh-like-rain

Im not a guitarist, so... sorry for the repetition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:33 pm 

boah... the high frequencies sound so creepy in Soundcloud.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:31 pm 

I was impressed. Though I'm still trying to figure out why I enjoyed the second run with the guitar but not the first.
Going back and listening a few times I cannot tell what's different but something seemed to be.

Out of fear and anger we all fall down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:35 pm 

Hi Arkad!

Overall you have a great song and an excellent first effort - well done!

Some constructive criticism (my own opinion of course).

Nothing wrong with the lead guitar work - don't be so hard on yourself :D I would bring it (lead guitar) up in volume and add a bit of reverb or light echo to swell it out a little.

The main 'rhythm section' - synths/strings appears a bit 'muddy', making the bass a bit indistinct. I would cut the (cello?) volume a bit then cut some of the bottom end frequencies out of with EQ. The violins sound a bit shrill - just cut some high frequencies. Then just push the bass up a bit in volume. The crash cymbal in the right channel seems a little too far right and isolated from the rest of the kit. If it's on a separate track, I'd just pan it a little closer to centre.

What I like is that you have a good stereo spread, good voice and harmonies and, as I said earlier, a great song. :wink:

Trevor

My music is here

Official OFC™ Member

When I listen, I forget. When I see, I remember. When I do, I understand. Confucius
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:03 am 

corthew wrote:
I was impressed. Though I'm still trying to figure out why I enjoyed the second run with the guitar but not the first.
Going back and listening a few times I cannot tell what's different but something seemed to be.

Both are on the same track and same effects with no automation. but good to know. i will ask friend to play the first solo.

corthew wrote:
The main 'rhythm section' - synths/strings appears a bit 'muddy', making the bass a bit indistinct. I would cut the (cello?) volume a bit then cut some of the bottom end frequencies out of with EQ. The violins sound a bit shrill - just cut some high frequencies. Then just push the bass up a bit in volume. The crash cymbal in the right channel seems a little too far right and isolated from the rest of the kit. If it's on a separate track, I'd just pan it a little closer to centre.

Hello trevlyn, thanks. i moved the cymbal and equed the violins.
the bass ist acoustica pick bass, and sounds for me too unreal.. next month i will get scarbee bass, till than the bass should stay subtle :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:06 pm 

Not bad. But is that the same file as earlier? It seems to have lost something compared to an earlier listening today. If not, maybe it's just me.

The vocals are a bit flat. I often have this problem too when using sealed headphones for tracking. When I get into one of those episodes I find I can avoid it by using semi-closed headphones, and placing my hands over the front-facing part of the cups to reduce leakage. Try compensating by sharpening that vocal track, raising the pitch about three or four points.

The guitar issue is probably caused by your playing technique. You should learn to apply subtle vibrato to sustained notes with your fretting hand. This is an often overlooked method of thickening and adding a bit of character to sustained notes. You will see good guitarists do it on Youtube. Try the 'hammering-on' technique for fast note passages, and bring the lost loudness up afterwards with added compression. Also, try bending notes up a half-note or note instead of going up the frets; this will add smoothness and a little drama, and with practice will give you more control.

Another thing you can try, something I occasionally do with riffs to add body, is to duplicate the melody of the guitar solo as closely as possible with one of the piano instrument presets on a virtual instrument track, place it subtly behind the guitar, and then separate them a little to the left and right. Maybe you could even try putting the guitar track through the GSnap auto-tune plugin with soft and slow settings to see what that does.

Incidentally, the violins do not sound shrill on my system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 am 

arkad, nice song. it's very melodic ... the chorus is something echo and the bunnymen would be proud of. i notice there are a few clicks and pops in the song ... my own pet hate with home recording. i am spending hours getting rid of them in my own songs. most of the time it can be done, though it takes a lot of patience. anyway, well done ... cheers, david.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:31 pm 

oh, thanks for the feedbacks, ill try to followup

yes i didnt upload the new Version yet. but i will.

btw. since im not a native english speaker, do you think it acceptable? or should i pronounce some words differently?

thanks once again for the feedbacks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:39 am 

Arkad wrote:
since im not a native english speaker, do you think it acceptable? or should i pronounce some words differently?

If you mean in the song, I think its fine.

I would agree with the previous comments and add that the piano riff level seems a little high overall, and especially crowds the guitar slightly part around 3:00. (for example) Real nice job of tucking it in behind the vocal however.

Overall a nice effort. I think the guitar could use a little ambiance tweaking, and there's a slightly rough performance section there in the later part, but very minor.

It also seems the project might be a little heavy on the compression/limiting for my tastes, but its what everyone seems to be doing.

*Side note: Hey folks, could I suggest we try to keep the songs and critiques in the "User Showcase" area?
viewforum.php?f=10
It's not a big deal, but it keeps pushing discussions on technical aspects and user issues with Mixcraft down the main thread.

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!