It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repetition
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:38 am 

Very interesting read. Didn't quite know where this would fit best in the forum scheme so I'll put it here for all my colleagues that like to get in peoples' heads with their writing.

http://aeon.co/magazine/altered-states/why-we-love-repetition-in-music/

Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX jBridge, EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter libs, Omnisphere
My Stuff: Mixcraft Live, Soundcloud

Post subject: Re: Repetition
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:59 am 

Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed it. The audio exercise was so simple, yet so cool I had to laugh out loud!

One music class I took discussed the subject pretty thoroughly, and what I retained from it more than anything was the suggestion not to fear repetition in writing and arranging, that repetition had good potential and importance, as long as the repetitive component was something good.

I was always keenly aware of the sense of "burning out" on a favorite song from overplay, yet I knew most people would play it again and again.... It seemed I was the only one searching "b-sides" and looking deeper into albums and going to the obscure back of the rack stuff in search of something new. While everyone else wanted to hear the same stuff again!
Also, the common response to a song I didn't care for because of a sense it was "too repetitious." Yet there it is, it draws us in somehow.

Just rambling thoughts. But again, good article, I enjoyed the writing and perspective!

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Grace. Its not just for dinner!