It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 am 

Greetings,

I'm in the process of evaluating MixCraft to see if this is the DAW for me.

First, I must say I'm impressed by how fun and easy this software is to use, and the price point makes this a VERY attractive DAW to teach with and demonstrate in the learning centers I work with. I'm fairly certain I'll be adding some variant of MixCraft to my box of teaching tools, but I'm still not sure as to which package/version would be best.

After a few days of tinkering with the MixCraft Demo I'm left with a few questions.

1. Does any version of MixCraft (or plug-in that works with MixCraft) offer the ability to sync up with other devices via MMC, MTC, MIDI Clock, or SMPTE? So far I cannot find a way to make it a Master (send any sort of time code) nor a slave. The only thing I have not tried yet is making an audio based 'smpte sync track' and routing it's signal through one of the outputs of the old SB Live card (would this work?).

2. At this time I'm evaluating MixCraft (The free demo download from Acustica's own website) with the built in VIA audio chip-set on my motherboard along side an old 8 channel SoundBlaster Live card running kX 64 bit drivers. MIDI controlled VST instruments are nearly half a second behind those on external MIDI driven synths. Is there a way to set up a timing offset so that MixCraft will delay the MIDI stuff so it matches up with whatever latency issues are going on with the VST stuff? I.E. The preferences section of MixCraft says that I can expect a latency of around 40ms, so can I make it delay external MIDI signals 40ms to match? If not, what sort of Latency can I expect with a better audio card...and what audio interfaces are recommend? In short...I really like MixCraft so far...as long as I stick with its hosted VST instruments and don't try to use any external hardware.

3. When installing MixCraft Pro (the top end version), what is the MINIMUM hard drive size required? Do ALL of the instruments and loops have to be installed at once, or can one start with a small and lean set-up and add on/remove components as needed? I.E. If I were to get a dozen licenses of this for a teaching lab, could I install it on some machines with less than 100gig free hard drive space and simply load whatever elements will be needed for the day's lesson?

4. Can MixCraft be run over a network from a server on multiple workstations (with the appropriate licensing for each workstation of course)?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice...from both Acoustica officials and MixCraft users.
Beej

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm 

Hi,

Let me see if I can answer your questions:

1. Mixcraft 6 doesn't have any MIDI clock / sync features like that.

2. The best solution for this problem is to lower the audio latency. If WaveRT is available, try the "Use Exclusive Mode" option, which would allow you to try lower latency settings. Don't set them too low, or you'll get audio skipping. Better yet would be to have a sound device that provides its own ASIO drivers, like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

3. You should have at least 925 MB of free hard drive space. If you install all the loops, that figure would be higher.

4. Mixcraft wouldn't run well over a network. We do have silent network install options for schools, but Mixcraft is designed to be installed on the local machine. This is at least in part because of performance issues. Running over a network could really cause some high audio latency, for example!

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:42 pm 

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Hi,

Let me see if I can answer your questions:

1. Mixcraft 6 doesn't have any MIDI clock / sync features like that.

2. The best solution for this problem is to lower the audio latency. If WaveRT is available, try the "Use Exclusive Mode" option, which would allow you to try lower latency settings. Don't set them too low, or you'll get audio skipping. Better yet would be to have a sound device that provides its own ASIO drivers, like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

3. You should have at least 925 MB of free hard drive space. If you install all the loops, that figure would be higher.

4. Mixcraft wouldn't run well over a network. We do have silent network install options for schools, but Mixcraft is designed to be installed on the local machine. This is at least in part because of performance issues. Running over a network could really cause some high audio latency, for example!

Greg

Thanks much Greg,
This information helps a great deal in planning and proposals.

Your latency tips have helped a good deal. Timing is much tighter now.

MixCraft is quite impressive given the price and modest system requirements.

Hopefully I can try using an analogue sync track (similar to striping a tape track) before my trial period ends, as there should still be a few analogue-to-clock boxes on the market (I think I still have at least one around here somewhere). That should make MixCraft serve as a Master clock right? If anyone has tried this successfully please let me know?