Mark Bliss wrote:I like the song! Nice writing, nice work! The video also makes a nice artistic compliment, great use of mostly simple images and clips, well arranged and compiled. More nice work, It and the song compliment each other well.
In the end that what's important.
Drums were an issue from creation. Not being a drummer, I started with a beat from the loop library (no idea what it was) and started riffing around with a progression. And lyrically "woke up in the morning, and she's gone" popped up. And it organically developed from there. I added some drum pickups, and removed congas, switched from hi hat to ride, and really moved it around in the last verses. But could never find a change for the kick and snare beat that seemed to fit. But it's growth.
As it grew into something more R&B it decided to try adding horns. This was a big challenge. And lion's share of editing and work was spent on them. Unfortunately they added a complexity to the mix that was at times overwhelming. Leaving me to make some decisions regarding adding additional time, or disrupting the delicate balance I had, on overall drum sounds
. Your assumption is correct. All FX on the drum submix, except track eq's. Congas were pulled from submix to move them back and more noticeable when not present.
Had 1 gtr track with a lot of noise that I tried to remove, but was never happy with results (should have rerecorded, but it was 1 take and "lighting in a bottle".
Most tracks are 1-3 takes. And still took me 2 months to really finish. I got lucky if I got 1 or 2 multi hour sessions in. Mostly 3 hours over the week. And I hated to let it linger out there too much longer. It was keeping me from several others in the pipeline.
I will take note of your suggestions regarding eq. Still a developing skill on an overall project. I tend to focus on it related to complimentary voices (r gtr vs l gtr, or bass and kick) and not in the overall mix.
Warmth - this is sometimes elusive for me. Got a mic tube preamp... not happy with it. Wasn't the magical answer to warmth I had hoped for. Tape saturation...tried several different ones on master bus was never really happy with any (too much noise or more muddy). Tube EQ - nice results, but left it with little pop. I need to educate and experiment with these ideas some more.
As always value your opinion and candor. Nothing taken personally. Keep it coming, I can take it. You've helped me improve with each piece.
I'll take a listen on dropbox tonight.