Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Working with delays and reverbs

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

bigaquarium

Working with delays and reverbs

Postby bigaquarium » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:07 am

Morning,

Being an AAS fan means I've listened to a fair amount of Richard Devine's tracks on their website. He seems to use delay and reverb as part of the instrument's voice rather than an effect per se. Is this something that is done early during the composition process, or does it come in later when mixing? To me it would be hard to predict how layers and layers of effects would interact if you're using them early on, but he seems to pull it off nicely even so.

- N

Ian Craig

Re: Working with delays and reverbs

Postby Ian Craig » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:58 am

bigaquarium wrote:Morning,

Being an AAS fan means I've listened to a fair amount of Richard Devine's tracks on their website. He seems to use delay and reverb as part of the instrument's voice rather than an effect per se. Is this something that is done early during the composition process, or does it come in later when mixing? To me it would be hard to predict how layers and layers of effects would interact if you're using them early on, but he seems to pull it off nicely even so.

- N

Give it time and all will become clear Nathan. I didn't know anything about any FX other than guitar FX like chorus, delay, reverb and flanging 3 years ago, but now I could probably produce any type of thing (other than EDM, Reggae and perhaps Country & Western, all of which I hate) as I have wasted money on a lot of plugins 'industry go to ones' during the last several years just to test and learn. Obviously anyone will do their own thing, like Richard Devine does, and no-one will necessarily know what it is he's doing except him ...
...basically though (whilst waffling on there) it occurs to me that if someone is asking you to put down your own sounds as presets with your name on them the last thing you would want is for the FX that you were using to design the sounds to be removed leaving just a sine and sawtooth wave, as it would defeat the purpose, so they would have to be part of the instrument's voice. (See, as I said, just give it time and all will become clear :wink: )
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 418 (64bit)
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2).

Return to “General Music Topics”